Author Topic: Am I too old to start fursuiting?  (Read 13761 times)

Offline valebear

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
Am I too old to start fursuiting?
« on: July 21, 2009, 01:46:10 »
For a few years furry artwork and fursuiting have been relevant to my interests, I'd like to get more involved and getting a fursuit of my own would be simply awesome.

Problem is I feel I'm too old at 40 to start now, I love the videos at BBF of ConFuzzled, but watching them also makes me feel sad as if I am missing out on the fun.  :'(

Any advice would be welcome?

Offline The Dark Knight

• Head Of Convention Operations
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • "MOVE!"
    • View Profile
Re: Am I too old to start fursuiting?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 04:30:36 »
I wouldn't say so. I know a few folks who are in their 40s/50s who fursuit. :)

Offline Muir

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
    • Furaffinity Page
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 08:05:55 »
I say, if you like the idea and think it'll be fun, go for it! :D I'm nearly 32 and am (im)patiently waiting for my 1st fursuit to be delivered. =3

Offline LevLion

• Stage & A/V Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • My FA Account
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 10:12:04 »
Of course 40 isnt too old. In fact going for it might help you feel young. go for it
I for one welcome our Muppet overloards.

Offline Dingotush

• SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • The real wolf's lair
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 15:18:09 »
I'm 44, have only been doing it for a few years and still have a great time.  Last weekend a few of us went to do some public fursuiting in a Birmingham park, and it was well received, rewarding, and a lot of fun.  Do it .... you know you want to...
Who was she kidding?  It was easy to be a vegetarian by day.  It was preventing yourself from becoming a humanitarian by night that took the real effort. - Angua (Pterry)

Offline valebear

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 14:51:09 »
Thanks for the friendly advice, I have been weighing up some of the pros and cons of getting involved in fursuiting and furry fandom.

The cost of buying a fursuit wouldn't be a problem for me, but due to my income I would not be able to afford to attend overseas conventions.

My worries about fursuiting:

My friends of the same age have family commitments and are probably not interested.

What will my friends and neighbours think, as there are a lot of bad articles/mockery on the internet about furries in general? I would hate them to think I was into some strange sexual fetish, most fursuiting/furry fandom is a hobby not unlike being a football fan, dressing up in your favourite team's shirt and attending football matches. FYI I have no interest in football.

Will I fit in to the furry fandom?

OK I will be back later.

Offline LevLion

• Stage & A/V Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • My FA Account
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 17:41:55 »
I dont really think theres a certain way to "fit" into the fandom most furs tend to be generall accepting of anyone so you would fit in no matter what.

You dont have to wait for cons to go fursuiting, there are meets and specially arrangement parties and events etc too!

Doesnt matter what the neighbours thing its not their buieness really ;) And as for your friends, we dont all whip the suit out to show everyone its not something you have to make them a part of unless you want to. I only show none fur friends if I want to freak them out when I know its ok really.

Offline James The Dog

• Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 18:38:48 »
I'm thinking about suiting too. At 23 I certainly don't think I'm too old for it though! My biggest dilemma is whether to get a full or a partial. As my fursona wears clothes, I could have a partial, but then I feel as if having a partial would be incomplete and something would be missing. But then wearing clothes on top of a full suit might be too hot and uncomfortable. So I don't really know.

Offline Akinokaze

• I'm on here as much as I can!
  • Doggystyler.
    • View Profile
    • My FA
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 00:21:12 »
I'm thinking about suiting too. At 23 I certainly don't think I'm too old for it though! My biggest dilemma is whether to get a full or a partial. As my fursona wears clothes, I could have a partial, but then I feel as if having a partial would be incomplete and something would be missing. But then wearing clothes on top of a full suit might be too hot and uncomfortable. So I don't really know.
Same here, though I'm 24 :P

The other questions for me though of in regards to how to store/clean/transport it [it was hard enough getting to CF with a suitcase of clothes, but if I had a suit I'd need 2 and there's no way I could handle moving two on the trains and busses :P [Not to mention the cost, plus needing a finalised charactersheet.]
If Homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in gay to work. �Hello. Can't work today, still gay.�
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." Martin Luther King Jr

Offline LevLion

• Stage & A/V Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • My FA Account
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 09:30:55 »
Well think I was 23 when I got my fursuit so its the right time! buy NOW!

Most builders wil work with you to make a char sheet if you want, something thats close to yoru character but also suitable to be made into a suit.

transporting isnt as hard as you might imagine, a case bag or otherwise just something to hold it all together and keep it safe. Really depends on the construction of the suit, if its foam then its not that easy to damage anyways. Mesh and other things need a stronger case to help keep the shape. I just have a very big bag with wheels like some uber hold all thing which fits my suit and my clothes for a con. Akino knows me so knows Im not the tallest person around and if I can manage a bag the same size as me accross a country to a con you can manage it too :P

Storing, hmm I guess most people hang them up in a wardrobe like any other clothes. As mines a partial it cant be hung anyway so I have a large protective drum it lives in.

Cleaning well if you download the original CF2008 con video I think part 2 is mostly all about fursuits acting and includes washing. Again really depends what your suits made from, at cons suits are usually cleaned in the bath or shower with mild cleaning agents and left to drip dry. Keep a brush with you to fluff the fur out again.

Offline valebear

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 12:56:24 »
if you download the original CF2008 con video

I have already and the fursuit workshop just happens to be the part that interested me the most.

Indoor and outdoor feet, washing/cleaning, balaclavas, a minder/watcher when going out in public, and how can I forget making sure you are clean and showered before getting into a fursuit, comically enacted what happens if you don't by Timduru.

Offline General E. Husky

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2009, 01:53:43 »
I'm 22 and it's only recently I've taken to the fandom.

huskeywolf

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 14:02:21 »
im almost 40 , i dont think im too old. as long as you enjoy yourself. that is what counts ;D ;D

Offline LevLion

• Stage & A/V Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • My FA Account
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 09:55:57 »
Thats right enjoyment is the main part of any social or personal activities. If you enjoy it thats all that matters not your age or what your peers think.

Offline Akinokaze

• I'm on here as much as I can!
  • Doggystyler.
    • View Profile
    • My FA
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 18:58:05 »
Gah, seeing email reminders of this in my inbox keeps reminding me that more and more I want one [but really do need to try before you buy :P]
If Homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in gay to work. �Hello. Can't work today, still gay.�
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." Martin Luther King Jr