Author Topic: Fursuit costs and suppliers  (Read 36057 times)

Offline valebear

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
Fursuit costs and suppliers
« on: July 23, 2009, 01:25:04 »
OK so I want to get a fursuit but I'm undecided, on one hand I'd love to be a bunny if not a dog/husky.

A toony look is preferable.

Where do I start, and is buying a ready-made/used fursuit frowned upon within the furry community?

Would a commission be too expensive, besides designing it myself would be a daunting task and I would need some help.

Besides furbid where else can I look?

Checked out Fursuiters UK, but only four makers listed in the UK and all apparently fully booked.

Offline LevLion

• Stage & A/V Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • My FA Account
Re: Fursuit costs and suppliers
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:22:44 »
http://www.arendstudios.de/en/index.html
http://www.donthugcacti.com/
http://www.maskottchen-germany.de/german/main.htm (Yea sorry its in german but you get the idea its easy to understand)

Atalons stuff ususally is cheaper and he can make it alot quicker than the others but he doesnt do "toony" so much as the others.

But keep looking around cause they are just examples there are many many people all over the world making top quality ones. My only advise would be try and avoid none furry commercial sites selling pre made ones. Simple because these are made for parties and small events they are no where near as good and hard wearing as ones build by furs for fursuiting.
I for one welcome our Muppet overloards.

Offline Muir

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
    • Furaffinity Page
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 09:55:26 »
I commissioned my partial from azurecoyote. She's on FA and her site is http://www.azurecoyote.com/

She's from the states, so you'd have to pay duty fees, but she's really resonably priced. My extended partial (head, hands, feet, tail, wings, arms and legs) cost me $600 USD.

Offline James The Dog

• Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 10:46:59 »
Those prices aren't bad actually! Makes sense to shop around, though you still have to look into it properly. Doubt I'd go for a top maker, a combination of not being made of money or having enough patience ;)

Keep thinking I'll go for a full and wear a t-shirt and shorts over it, as I feel I'd be missing out with only a partial! Need to get a ref sheet done at some point I guess.

Offline valebear

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 12:41:55 »

Offline Akinokaze

• I'm on here as much as I can!
  • Doggystyler.
    • View Profile
    • My FA
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 14:16:46 »
I commissioned my partial from azurecoyote. She's on FA and her site is http://www.azurecoyote.com/

She's from the states, so you'd have to pay duty fees, but she's really resonably priced. My extended partial (head, hands, feet, tail, wings, arms and legs) cost me $600 USD.
Nice prices and good looking work there, certainly one to consider.
If Homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in gay to work. �Hello. Can't work today, still gay.�
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." Martin Luther King Jr

FurbleFox

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 14:18:45 »
I would recommend:

Arend Studios
Don't Hug Cacti
JoeciFur (B3 Mascots)
Rose Quoll

They all make good suits :)

Offline LevLion

• Stage & A/V Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • My FA Account
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 21:00:09 »

Well yes and no, remember if a suits made for you its got a limited customer base for resale as it wont fit everyone and the character wouldnt suit everyone. Plus of course seond hand and used and all that. But they certainly dont devalue like a computer :P even rocks plumit slower than pc prices

Offline James The Dog

• Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 00:08:47 by James The Dog »

Offline LevLion

• Stage & A/V Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • My FA Account
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 09:52:41 »
*dances around in his Arend suit* nah nah nah nah :p

Offline Akinokaze

• Doggystyler.
    • View Profile
    • My FA
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 11:24:02 »
Tease :P

After talking with Lev about suits I've come to the conclusion that I'd have to try one one before I ever even consider getting one.

As cute as they are they just may not be for me as the experience of wearing one simply may not be enjoyable for me [I hate being too hot (the heatwave we had a couple of weeks ago was physically painful at times and generally miserable) and I'm not someone who tends to wear hats cause the pressure of the forehead feels strange and uncomfortable. I'd really have to see if I could even stand to wear one, let alone enjoy myself in one.]
If Homosexuality is a disease, let's all call in gay to work. �Hello. Can't work today, still gay.�
"Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted." Martin Luther King Jr

Offline James The Dog

• Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 12:30:36 »
After talking with Lev about suits I've come to the conclusion that I'd have to try one one before I ever even consider getting one.

I guess that makes perfect sense- you don't want to fork out a fortune on one just to find you consider it an unpleasant experience, it's too much money to throw away. The problem is of course how infrequently these chances to try one come along- the only opportunity I have is at meets, and at the last one I went to, no-one even turned up with one, and even if they do there's no guarantee any of them will let you try theirs on.

Offline Akinokaze

• Doggystyler.
    • View Profile
    • My FA
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 12:43:05 »
Yep, chances are I'll never get to try a suit.

Offline BrunoMeles

• Cookie Eater
  • Same species as Brok!
    • View Profile
    • My Fur Affinity Page
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 17:36:52 »
I once saw this website advertised on Fur Affinity, not sure if anyone might be interested:

http://mercurypale.com/jillcostumes/gallery.html

As for me, I tend to think fursuits might be a lot of fun, but maybe too expensive for me. I still haven't decided whether I should get one eventually or not. I'm worried that if I had one, I'd hardly ever use it! Still, sometimes I wish I could be more enthusiastic about the idea of fursuiting.
What sound does a badger make?

Offline James The Dog

• Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 18:10:39 »
Yep, chances are I'll never get to try a suit.

I don't know if that's true- at the very least you'll probably have a chance at CF at some point, even if it's only brief.