Author Topic: A question about registering.  (Read 5585 times)

Bloodwish

A question about registering.
« on: July 11, 2007, 18:36:42 »
Or several infact, heh.

First off, I'm from Bury, it would take me all of about 30 mins given Manchesters lovely traffic system to drive to the convention daily, the ease of getting to the place basically nullifies the accomidation/meal issue. So I was wondering this, could I be allowed to do this or would it be prefered I stay for the three days like anyone else? I don't mind either way, I plan to go anyway... *grumbles* when I can pay...

Second question, I really, really really really do want to go. However it would take me about 3-4 months saving up to afford a place, and there might not be any left when the time comes. Could I arrange a place and say if I've not coughed up by an agreed period of time my place is released again?

Oh and how is Wheelchair access for this place anyway?

SouthPaw

Re: A question about registering.
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 20:04:38 »
Or several infact, heh.

First off, I'm from Bury, it would take me all of about 30 mins given Manchesters lovely traffic system to drive to the convention daily, the ease of getting to the place basically nullifies the accomidation/meal issue. So I was wondering this, could I be allowed to do this or would it be prefered I stay for the three days like anyone else? I don't mind either way, I plan to go anyway... *grumbles* when I can pay...

This is answered on the Frequently Asked Questions page on the main website:

Quote from: ConFuzzled website

Our contract with the Youth Hostel, and fire regulations, mean that we can only have 144 attendees (including convention staff) and the Hostel staff on site.

As such, we are not able to offer an "attendance only" rate, as we still have to pay for all 144 beds whether they're used or not.

Quote from: Bloodwish
Second question, I really, really really really do want to go. However it would take me about 3-4 months saving up to afford a place, and there might not be any left when the time comes. Could I arrange a place and say if I've not coughed up by an agreed period of time my place is released again?

Payment by instalments is fine, providing you ask us first. And once you've paid the first instalment, your place is guaranteed.

Quote from: Bloodwish
Oh and how is Wheelchair access for this place anyway?

That's something I'll have to let someone else answer, as I've not yet had a chance to visit the venue, having been rostered to work the past couple of times members of the team have been there.

Cheers,

Southie

Bloodwish

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 22:17:19 »
Yeah, I felt a bit red in the face after asking the first question and then finding the answer... heh... as for the second, that's cool. :)

Hmm, I might actually stay since it'll work out cheeper to just drive my car up with my sis or something, get my chair out with a 3 day bag and stay the full convention, get the full convention feel... :)

Hmm, I might have a drive down when I get my modified car back, it's not exactly out of my way. :)

Offline Matt the Lion

• Convention Chairman
  • Forum Admins
  • SuperFuzz!
  • King of the Jungle
    • View Profile
    • My Photography (Mostly big cats)
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 23:49:25 »
IIRC, the hostel is entirely wheelchair accessible, Furble would be the best person to confirm that though, but he's without internet for a few days.  I'm sure he'll make a post here when he sees it!
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."

Offline The Dark Knight

• Head Of Convention Operations
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • "MOVE!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 11:11:32 »
I remember it being wheelchair accessable. There are entry ramps and a lift for wheelchair users. There are even a few rooms dedicated to disabled persons. :)

Offline Wolfie Fox

• Stage Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I can see through time!
    • View Profile
    • OS Labs
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 06:18:22 »
Yep yep, I remember that too from the staff meeting a few months ago :)

Bloodwish

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 18:19:57 »
From my experience a few ramps and a lift does not always make a wheelchair accessable place ;)

It's cool though as the nature of my disablity means if I really, really needed or wanted to I could stash it somewhere safe and wander about a bit, albeit in quite a bit of pain... :p

But we shall see, I'll take a drive up when I get this car back and give it a trial if possable.

SouthPaw

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 20:13:30 »
From my experience a few ramps and a lift does not always make a wheelchair accessable place ;)

It's cool though as the nature of my disablity means if I really, really needed or wanted to I could stash it somewhere safe and wander about a bit, albeit in quite a bit of pain... :p

But we shall see, I'll take a drive up when I get this car back and give it a trial if possable.
We'll be making another site visit at some point soon, at which we're going to be double checking things like room sizes (as it helps when planning!), accessibility, etc.

Of course, one problem is that people think that disabled "friendly" = wheelchair accessible (something public transport operators are particularly guilty of!), without thinking about the visually and hearing impaired, etc.

Cheers,

Southie