Author Topic: Lost Cause  (Read 8220 times)

Offline Lost Cause

• I'm on here as much as I can!
  • Ah-ha!
    • View Profile
Lost Cause
« on: January 09, 2011, 20:01:10 »
Ahh ha! Been waiting on my accounts approval!
Signed up to attend the con a few days ago ^.^
It shall be my first time attending a furry con, though it will be my second time in Manchester!
I see there is going to be another Person from the Republic of Ireland going, also a lion!
I am in the process of stabbing myself repeatedly with needles in an effort to get a fursuit together.... Fingers (what's left of them) crossed I actually get it done in time. It is my first time trying to make one too.

I would appreciate it if someone would point me to a timetable of events, or even a timetable of old events. Is there anything that happens on the Friday or Monday to go to?
I really need to book the flights as soon as I possibly can, but without knowing how things usually go I don't know when I should be planning to arrive or leave.
I have made my statement and I stand buy it, but I could be wrong!

Offline Feera Fox

• Omg, I post a lot!
  • unleash your inner being, hear your song
    • View Profile
    • the den of feera fox
Re: Lost Cause
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 14:51:54 »
please give the staff, a little more time about a week and a half, as they are
rather busy furrs this time of year, then contact registration, if nothing happens
after the above time. hope this helps
* I don't know when i'll be able to go2 CF again debt rears it's ugly head until then hugs and peace to all *
Animals that change reality, are in the dreamtime, of a world forgotten, yet destined to rise again in the
hearts of those who dance in the dreamtime. ye time is coming, it's time to sing

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 16:42:12 »
Not all the events below will be running this year and there may be new and exciting things to do that are not on the list but from last year on:

Friday:
Registration, Opening, First Convention, Wikifur pub quiz, DDR, Dance & Trance, Melodic Dance, Drum 'n' bass, Fursuit lounge area and Tabletop Gaming.

Monday:
Closing, Auction collcetion, Group photo, Feedback, Fursuit lounge area and the Road kill party (ie the end and back to boring work soon).

Generally it's been my experience that things really kick off in the afternoon on Friday. Although people arrive all morning and some get there on Thursday for an extra day. On the last day people that want to leave early to catch flights etc, although a lot of people stay around for the photo and closing. The party is generally where you can find staff with brain matter leaking out from being done with all the work and stress for another year. But beware, eating staff brains turns you into a volunteer next year. You can also book in the extra day on the Monday night for Tuesday to give a little recovery time.

Hope that helps!
Warning: Do not expose to shiny things.

Offline Lost Cause

• Ah-ha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 16:46:47 »
Great! that's what I needed :)
So I will book the flight around 6:30AM in on friday and I think there was one at around 10PM monday.
Thanks very much :) Just didnt want to mak the mistake of ariving to late or leaving too early :D
At the same time I didnt want to be standing about with my luggage for hours and nothing to do ;)

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 17:07:50 »
Last year I took the early flight up from Heathrow as it was cheaper to fly then to take the train. I ended up having breakfast at the hotel. It's not like you can't spot other furs around the reception, the tail can be a dead give away sometimes.

Lunch time is around when things wind down do you might even want to get away a bit earlier to aboud some hangin around. Unless you want to stop by the party of course :)

Offline Lost Cause

• Ah-ha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 19:46:01 »
Grand. Sounds like a plan to me!
Arrive in Manchester airport at 7:30, leave Manchester airport at... 21:55.
To bad they don't have an 20:35 flight coming back, but at least I can be sure I wont miss anything ^.^

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 21:34:24 »
There is a rather large Tescos not more then ten minutes walk from the hotel site so if you want a cheaper breakfast there is a rather large selection there as well as cash points.

Offline LevLion

• Stage & A/V Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • My FA Account
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 09:01:09 »
Its all basically been covered but yes generally speaking things start early afternoon for guests with the opening of registration and a chance to get to your room and relax before things kick off in the evening. Generally speaking all events in the evening then are designed to be social things to encourage meeting new friends having fun and getting into the con spirit. So you should plan to arrive before early afternoon but then theres no reason to arrive too early unless your meeting up with friends, we cant offer room keys until registration so the earlier you arrive at the hotel the more sitting around with your bags you might have to do. You can always spend a few hours in Manchester center of course!
On the monday theres nothing really important to speak of unless you bid on art in the show or at the art auction then you will need to collect it. Most people hang around to be in the group photo but of course its only a picture at the end of the day and isnt the end of the world if its missed. People generally start leaving then and its just a slow trickle of guests heading out through the day then.

Since you have planned a good early and late flight this will at least allow you to make the call on when you get to us and leave. Just plan out how long the trip from hotel to airport takes and decide on the day when you move, hopefully you will make lots of new friends and hang around talking ^_^
I for one welcome our Muppet overloards.

Offline Lost Cause

• Ah-ha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 14:51:23 »
It's either a 6:30 flight, or a 12:30 flight. The second wont arrive in Manchester until 13:30 and I would still have to find my way to a place I have never been before, through a city I have only been in once, given that I am a person that has lived in Dublin my entire life and still can't find my way around the city center, I think the 6:30 flight is the best option ;)
Odds are with m sense of direction I will end up Back in Dublin and have to make a last minute booking for the next flight anyway ;)

Yeah, the flight are at least than ideal times. Not as much choice in them as I thought ....

for coming home I have a choice between 13:50 and 21:55....
So I have to take the second one really, taking into account finding my way back there at least an hour early for check in.

Besides, worse can happen than having to sit about, and if there are going to be others already there then great!
And I may as well try to miss out on nothing for my furst furry con ^.^

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 16:39:05 »
You could always take the train into Manchester Central from the airport. And wander out to the hotel from there, lots of people will be arriving throughout the day and you might tag along with them. It's not that hard to get to and the directions given on the website certainly make it a lot easier to get there.

Offline Lost Cause

• Ah-ha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 17:22:40 »
I've already land-marked the hotel and near by stations in my phone's satnav.
and I should also have enough for a taxi fare if I get stuck so no worries!
I shall get there one way or another.
And good times shall be had by all! ^.^

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 20:31:20 »
Does that mean we have to call you Found Cause when you arrive since you won't be lost anymore? Or am I just being picky :)

Offline LevLion

• Stage & A/V Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • My FA Account
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 21:05:08 »
Well as mentioned if you feel your going to be too early you can spend some time in the center there are regular busses that go from picadilly gardens past the hotel site its alot less money than a taxi but does need you to watch your phone a little to know when your close.
I for one welcome our Muppet overloards.

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 21:26:46 »
Some of the new buese are of a hybrid polluting less and very odd to drive indeed. I might just take a busman's holiday on one for the fun of it.

http://www.busandcoach.com/newspage.aspx?id=4458&categoryid=0

Offline RizzoRattie

• Venue Manager/Head of Fursuit Relations
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • Rat face!
    • View Profile
    • www.colifox.com
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 17:40:58 »
With regards to transport both to and from Manchester airport, although the information does need somewhat updating, bare in mind that the hotel does offer a shuttle service at the rate of £5 return direct from every terminal to the hotel.  Last year the information was a little lacking, so we will endevour to get a much better guide up soon, and this is infact something on the agenda for the next meeting with the hotel.

Kind Regards,

Rizzorat
--------
Venue Liaison
Forgive me for not jumping for joy, bad back you know ~ Scar; The Lion King