Author Topic: The New Venue  (Read 14686 times)

Offline Nidonocu

• Purchasing, Picnic, Pawpets
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • Poison Bunny
    • View Profile
    • @Nidonocu
The New Venue
« on: August 12, 2011, 19:37:09 »
We've announced our new venue, the Barceló Hinckley Island Hotel! Please take a look at our venue pages and let us know your thoughts and any questions in this thread!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 19:57:19 by Rallicat »
Nidonocu C:\>

Offline GreenReaper

• Cookie Eater
  • Rambling Norn
    • View Profile
    • GreenReaper Studios
Re: The New Venue
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 20:12:58 »
Q: Why are we being forced to discuss this here rather than on LiveJournal? :P

(It seems like great news, disabling comments on posts is just a pet peeve of mine . . .)

Edit: Link text on these forums is also hard to distinguish from regular text. If we can't have an underline, it would be nice if the colour were more distinct.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 20:53:05 by GreenReaper »
Laurence "GreenReaper" Parry
GreenReaper Studios - WikiFur

Offline Nidonocu

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • Poison Bunny
    • View Profile
    • @Nidonocu
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 23:32:08 »
Q: Why are we being forced to discuss this here rather than on LiveJournal? :P

(It seems like great news, disabling comments on posts is just a pet peeve of mine . . .)

Edit: Link text on these forums is also hard to distinguish from regular text. If we can't have an underline, it would be nice if the colour were more distinct.

We're trying to encourage people to use the forums! I'll see though if we can't improve the look of links since they are indeed a bit hard to spot.

Offline Twll

• Convention Book Editor
  • CFz Staff
  • Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
    • pumathing.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 23:36:39 »
I'll see though if we can't improve the look of links since they are indeed a bit hard to spot.
fixed

Offline lamar

• I'm on here as much as I can!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 20:16:02 »
Hopefully you could prod them to have vegetarian sausages available for the buffet breakfast, since the one thing I do note from current reviews is the lack of them at the moment.

That, and posting people at the 'crossroads' of the two main corridors to keep it clear and avoid getting clogged with people, is all I can think of to make a good hotel choice better.

Offline Cosmo

• Dealers' Den Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 21:16:48 »
That, and posting people at the 'crossroads' of the two main corridors to keep it clear and avoid getting clogged with people, is all I can think of to make a good hotel choice better.

This would probably be done by the security team, who are constantly patrolling the hotel, though we can't stop people from stopping there at all. It's also important to note that the corridor heading from front to back is much wider than the corridors at the old venue were and so it shouldn't be a huge problem.

Also, the more volunteers we have the easier it will be to keep any possible bottlenecks from clogging up. I'm sure details on how to volunteer will be made available as we get closer to the con so keep an eye out :)

Offline lamar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 22:07:41 »
This would probably be done by the security team, who are constantly patrolling the hotel, though we can't stop people from stopping there at all. It's also important to note that the corridor heading from front to back is much wider than the corridors at the old venue were and so it shouldn't be a huge problem.

Every Con I've been to, and volunteered for, at the Hinckley Island has had this problem. Usually a few minutes before each hour when the indecisive will get to this crossroads, then stop in a huddle with their friends to take out their mini-programs to look to see which event they want to go to and where it is. Then it turns into a narrow roundabout as people go around them... It's worst whenever a big event ends in the Paris Suite, since the majority of people are going to head through the crossroads.

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 00:19:09 »
I could always bring along my parking tickets? Anybody standing still too long is removed pending a fee of several cookies.

Just have to see how things go in the first year, it's hard to plan for everything that might happen.
Warning: Do not expose to shiny things.

Offline Cheetah

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 13:33:05 »
I think the new venue looks absolutely fantastic. I can't wait to see it for myself!

Offline Nidonocu

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • Poison Bunny
    • View Profile
    • @Nidonocu
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 15:02:04 »
Every Con I've been to, and volunteered for, at the Hinckley Island has had this problem. Usually a few minutes before each hour when the indecisive will get to this crossroads, then stop in a huddle with their friends to take out their mini-programs to look to see which event they want to go to and where it is. Then it turns into a narrow roundabout as people go around them... It's worst whenever a big event ends in the Paris Suite, since the majority of people are going to head through the crossroads.

I'm currently researching and looking in to this problem of making sure flow issues don't occur in the crossroads area. Hopefully we might be able to surprise you!

Offline lamar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 18:30:45 »
I'm currently researching and looking in to this problem of making sure flow issues don't occur in the crossroads area. Hopefully we might be able to surprise you!

Great, it shouldn't need that much more than someone that monitors the cross roads, and politely asks people to move on if they're standing in a huddle. (Rather not have someone shouting 'Move along there! Move Along!' tho) And asking people not to leave all at once after big events in the Paris Suite.

Offline Hollso

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
    • Art gallery
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 23:46:08 »
As long as venue exclusivity really means exclusivity this time, it'll be awesome :D We don't want people walking in on the art auction again...

Offline LevLion

• Stage & A/V Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • My FA Account
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 11:01:08 »
I think they were more annoyed than we were ;)
I for one welcome our Muppet overloards.

Offline RizzoRattie

• Venue Manager/Head of Fursuit Relations
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • Rat face!
    • View Profile
    • www.colifox.com
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 02:38:31 »
As long as venue exclusivity really means exclusivity this time, it'll be awesome :D We don't want people walking in on the art auction again...

I had very  harsh words with the management during our feedback session regarding the sale of rooms to outside guests.  This was in breach of contract and also nearly caused a very embaressing moment as they walked into the auction just moments after some adult work had been sold.

My overall impression of my contacts at the Barcelo are of a whole new level of professionalism.  They know what is meant by 'exclusivity' and point of fact, it was a very focused topic of negotiations.  For reasons I will not devulge, I know from the hotel that they wanted to offer us exclusivity as much as we desired it, so it was a happy meeting ground.

The one thing that does need to be taken into consideration is that the bar and restaurant are public facing and as such, can and will contiue to offer trade.  However, agreements are under negotiation regarding the use of our own security team to manage access. The hotel were not objectional to us restricting access, but it needs to be agreed on how to best manage it.  However, this should be transparent to our attendees and we will continue to work on this issue in the background.

Regards,

Rizzo
Forgive me for not jumping for joy, bad back you know ~ Scar; The Lion King

Offline GreyLion

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 13:20:27 »
I was as foreigner tourist on CF in 2011 first time and I was very satysified. I liked the venue, and all there... and I was looked forward for come again in 2015.
Now I will not come (prop.90%)
The new venue is bad choice for me as foreigner
- looks to cold with atmosphere - glass, metal (same mistake like EF did), more luxury but less cosy
- it is far from public transport - when I come to con to foreign country I'd like to see also some cities or travel a little (Visit Coventry will be interesting quite a lot eg). I will flight in and in case of this venue without car all tourist activities will be a problem...
- rent a car is a problem (expensive and I refuse drive on left)
- no choice (without own car) for eating - i need stay in hotel and eat there - and do not know, ahead, about menu and prices in restaurant and bar (there is no info on CF web and also no on hotel page) - do not like if  have no choice
- more expensive to stay longer before and after

so I am disappointed and propably will not come...