Author Topic: Cap Guns  (Read 10777 times)

Offline Blaster2

• I'm on here as much as I can!
  • The 2nd coming....is coming!
    • View Profile
Cap Guns
« on: August 16, 2011, 02:07:58 »
What is ConFuzzled's policy on replica weaponry? As the theme is the silver screen, I plan on designing a Resident Evil style avatar for Blaster 2. Can I bring cap guns?

Offline Matt the Lion

• Convention Chairman
  • Forum Admins
  • SuperFuzz!
  • King of the Jungle
    • View Profile
    • My Photography (Mostly big cats)
Re: Cap Guns
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 18:18:10 »
Please see our Code of Conduct under the "Weapons" section - http://www.confuzzled.org.uk/premiere/attending/code-of-conduct/
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."

Offline Blaster2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 02:32:58 »
"Realistic Imitation Firearms, deactivated firearms, airsoft toys, BB guns, paintball guns, and all bladed weapons are strictly forbidden."

So, as I understand it, the "Silver Screen" theme is excluding referencing any film where a character uses a weapon?

Offline Syn

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 11:57:57 »
You don't NEED to use a replica/fake gun that looks like a real one.

Plenty of people used Nerf guns at RBW in 2010 for their "Space Cowboys" theme ^_^

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 18:02:41 »
I would suggest that you email an image of something before you buy it to the convention to check if it is acceptable. Also check anything brought along with conops on arival, they will be be able to tell you if it's suitable or not and peace bind if required.
Warning: Do not expose to shiny things.

Offline Matt the Lion

• Convention Chairman
  • Forum Admins
  • SuperFuzz!
  • King of the Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 18:38:45 »
The main reason for this restriction is due to current laws which strictly control any items which look like a real firearm - these items are not legal to carry in public. Airsoft, BB and paintball guns as well as bladed weapons are restricted for obvious safety reasons.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 18:55:07 »

Offline Blaster2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 07:18:04 »
http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/edison-uzimatic-13-shot-cap-pistol/

This is one of the items I was considering using. I would keep the same colour scheme, which would obviously signify it as a non-firearm.

Offline The Dark Knight

• Head Of Convention Operations
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • "MOVE!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 10:00:26 »
http://www.wonderlandmodels.com/products/edison-uzimatic-13-shot-cap-pistol/

This is one of the items I was considering using. I would keep the same colour scheme, which would obviously signify it as a non-firearm.

Oh yeah, in that colour scheme is is (as you say) obviously not a firearm and is permitable.

Offline Blaster2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 08:36:54 »
Oh yeah, in that colour scheme is is (as you say) obviously not a firearm and is permitable.

Awesome!!

Offline lamar

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2011, 19:52:25 »
I'd have concerns over use of cap guns inside the hotel because firing them off might trigger the smoke detectors, which would result in the entire hotel being cleared of people.

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 21:55:42 »
I've never seen a cap gun give off enough smoke to trigger a detector, but as they are not permitted byt he code of conduct (as linked above) I can't see an issue.

I'm also pretty sure security would take a dim view of a cap gun being used anyway.

Offline lamar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 23:15:02 »
I've never seen a cap gun give off enough smoke to trigger a detector, but as they are not permitted byt he code of conduct (as linked above) I can't see an issue.

I'm also pretty sure security would take a dim view of a cap gun being used anyway.

See the above post by Graafen Blackpaw that apparently permitted use of a cap gun.

I'm not sure of the desire to specifically want a cap-gun. Setting off loud surprise gunshot like noises in the con public spaces isn't going to make the hotel staff happy at all. I can only really see them being allowable during stage acts.

I wouldn't want anyone in the audience of any event I'm running to be carrying a cap gun. For the same reason I wouldn't want them carrying a rattle, an air-horn or a vuvuzela.

Offline Matt the Lion

• Convention Chairman
  • Forum Admins
  • SuperFuzz!
  • King of the Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 23:17:21 »
Hi,

The question asked was whether it was permissible to carry the cap gun as part of a costume - the non realistic one pictured was deemed permissible.

However, firing a cap gun is an entirely different matter and would certainly not be allowed indoors - at the least the noise is likely to cause upset to other attendees, amongst other problems. We would also suggest that it isn't used outdoors either - we don't want hotel staff to mistake it for a real firearm.

Offline The Dark Knight

• Head Of Convention Operations
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • "MOVE!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 06:27:04 »
What Matt said is correct so I'm not going to repeat it. :)