Author Topic: Visually Impaired  (Read 6558 times)

SerFox

Visually Impaired
« on: August 30, 2007, 19:31:55 »
I have registered to the con, and in the disability section I selected Visually impaired.

I am registered blind with the Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB) and have a severe eye condition. I wear glasses which correct my vision to a certain degree (65% approx) but give me a lot of problems (Informaiton on that is listed below)

What help will I recieve? What is available for Visually Impaired attendees?

____

Informaiton on my sight, if it is helpful.

Condition: Retinitis Pigmentosis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retinitis_pigmentosa) Category: Early Stages.
Symptoms:

Loss of focus
Poor distance vision
Small text unreadable above distances of 2" (Con Badges printed with names below the font size of 72 would be unreadable for me unless I was next to them)
Difficulty remembering faces of those not known for long (This would hinder me being able to remember what staff looked like)
Loss of vision completely in low light conditions (Cinema Level)
Night Blindness (See above)

What equipment I have:

Blind Stick
Steller Pocket magnifier camera/screen unit
Glass Dome magnifier for reading

Text sizes:

On Paper:

Not Readable
Not Readable
Not Readable
Readable
Readable
Comfortable
Very Clear

From Distance (30cm+)

Not Readable
Not Readable
Not Readable
Readable
Readable
Readable
Readable
Clear
Very Clear

Anything above this is easier and easier for me to read.

CaliHusky

Re: Visually Impaired
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 02:47:48 »
I have registered to the con, and in the disability section I selected Visually impaired.

I am registered blind with the Royal National Institute for the Blind (RNIB) and have a severe eye condition. I wear glasses which correct my vision to a certain degree (65% approx) but give me a lot of problems (Informaiton on that is listed below)

What help will I recieve? What is available for Visually Impaired attendees?

The convention venue for CF is going to have upgrades soon for the rooms to give it raised lettering on all signage to help with visual imparements. It currently has high-contrast visual markers on all steps between floors and has a lift if you're worried about the stairs. The lighting is very good in the venue at night and you will be absolutely fine apart from the stage areas (low light for stage events at night) but we can help you before if you want to get in and after if you want to get out. The ConFuzzled medic (Mattlion) will be contacting those members of the con who have selected any needs around march 2008 for us to see how we can also help you in addition.

Large print versions of the contract/disclaimer (basically what you had online but on paper) will be available for you, as i'm personally printing those.

The con staff will be wearing RED lanyards with the ConFuzzled logo printed on them so we're easilly identifyable. Due to physical design issues, the names on badges are around 36pt and not 72pt.

Hope that helps!

SerFox

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 20:37:44 »
SerFox

This size on the badge?

Offline Feera Fox

• Omg, I post a lot!
  • unleash your inner being, hear your song
    • View Profile
    • the den of feera fox
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 13:26:55 »
dear souls,

i used to have a sister who was blind before she died at 13 she taught me alot
about issues around visual impairment so what i say is coming from experience.
i think if your talks were amplified, and some information, was put on to audio
tape eg: the conbook, and all needed info, because braile is very hard to write,
i've tried using the machine and it is hard to use, braile might have to be used
in the future, if we have any totally blind furs attending confuzzled, making
the text bigger is a better idea.

i have worked with people with impaired abilites, i don't use the word disabled
here as some of these people run marathons, and i can't do that and i'm able
bodied. it's lovely that the organisers are thinking about these issues to make
sure all furs get equal access to all information.
WELL DONE!!! :)
* I don't know when i'll be able to go2 CF again debt rears it's ugly head until then hugs and peace to all *
Animals that change reality, are in the dreamtime, of a world forgotten, yet destined to rise again in the
hearts of those who dance in the dreamtime. ye time is coming, it's time to sing

CaliHusky

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 08:06:48 »
yes. we're one of the only conventions that I know of who is looking out for our members to this level. Equality is something which we believe in and we're very confident that everyone. no matter what their ability will be able to enjoy the con.

Benny Brownpaws

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 22:53:55 »
Equality is an important thing after all. Isn't that what the fandom is about? A place for all beasts to be friends together?