Author Topic: So you think you want to run a convention?  (Read 3790 times)

SouthPaw

So you think you want to run a convention?
« on: October 02, 2011, 22:50:38 »
Evening all,

Just figured I'd run this up the flagpole and see who saluted...The aim of "So you think you want to run a convention?" (or, as Cheetah put it on Twitter, "Mistakes you will make running your first convention because you didn't believe those who warned you") is to take a (hopefully entertaining) look at some of the things you need to consider if you're trying to plan a con.

You might think it a little strange to propose running such a panel at ConFuzzled, but the way I see it, a little bit of friendly competition doesn't hurt, particularly if it aids all concerned to up their game.  ;)

Cheers,

Southie

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
Re: So you think you want to run a convention?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 16:59:18 »
My first advice would be 'Don't, it's a lot harder then it looks'. I'd not mind tagging along to something like this, are you thinking a discussion based event or a more lecture style thing?
Warning: Do not expose to shiny things.

SouthPaw

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 22:04:12 »
My first advice would be 'Don't, it's a lot harder then it looks'. I'd not mind tagging along to something like this, are you thinking a discussion based event or a more lecture style thing?

Oddly enough, that's pretty much the summary...But some people are gluttons for punishment :D

Anywho, was planning on playing it by ear depending on who turned up, will likely end up part talk, part discussion though, possibly with some "visual aids" as they say in the ed biz.

Cheers,

Southie

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 16:33:42 »
Sounds like a good idea. It's all too easy to run away with ideas and if they are not planned properly conventions have the possibility to go very wrong very fast.
Warning: Do not expose to shiny things.