Author Topic: Food suggestions  (Read 12525 times)

Offline RizzoRattie

• Venue Manager/Head of Fursuit Relations
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • Rat face!
    • View Profile
    • www.colifox.com
Food suggestions
« on: October 19, 2011, 23:12:18 »
Hello everyone,

I am looking for your suggestions for an up and coming meeting I have with the hotel regarding catering provisions for ConFuzzled 2012.  The restaurant and menu at the Barceló are more in keeping with a corporate fine dining experience, and not ideal for a convention of furs, whom in particular are looking for quick, easy to grab style foods.

As with the Britannia last year, the Barceló have offered a degree of flexibility regarding what they will offer for us.  Therefore, I would like to take to them ideas of what people in particular would like to see.  This is in no way a guarantee that it will be available, but my hope is that with enough ideas, the hotel will happily put on meals more in keeping with our attendees tastes and interests.

Therefore, this thread will be open for 1 week, closing midnight Wednesday 26th October.  If you have an idea, please shout it out and let your voice be heard.

Please keep ideas sensible, and to food suggestions only, not drinks.

Example:

Pizza,
Burgers,
Chips,

Many thanks for your input.

Kind Regards,

Rizzorat
------------
Venue Liaison

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 19:57:39 by Rallicat »
Forgive me for not jumping for joy, bad back you know ~ Scar; The Lion King

Offline James The Dog

• Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: Food suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 23:30:22 »
Pizza, burgers, chips? I think you've said it all already :D

Offline Shaggi

• Cookie Eater
  • ....DANGER!!
    • View Profile
    • My art :3
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 23:32:13 »
I can't really think of anything specific but it would be nice to have some vegetarian and vegan options other than the obvious XD

Offline Twll

• Convention Book Editor
  • CFz Staff
  • Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
    • pumathing.com
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 23:37:41 »
I'm always fond of chicken strips!
Ooh, and wedges!
Also, some kind of pasta salad that doesn't have a mayonnaise-based dressing on it. :3

Offline Misty Crom

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 23:51:49 »
Chicken strips I concur with (if that means agree). Scotch pies, chocolate, garlic bread, sausages, pasta (spag bol, lasagne, pene, pasta bake), mash (decent mash, not school-dinner mash that you could eat with a straw), toast, cake

just random suggestions, but all stuff I like that hasn't (I think) been mentioned. But I'm tired so it might've been.

can the pizza not be too cheesy btw? go look at a nice dr. oetker or a godfellas. that's how pizza's menna be,not cheese with a bit of tomato and 2 pieces of peperoni.

Offline Cosmo

• Dealers' Den Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 00:13:42 »
If we could keep the salmon, that would be nice too. ;)

Offline Tungro

• Deputy of Registration, Video Team Member
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I'm an otter in the water, swimming around...
    • View Profile
    • Riverdog.net
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 07:59:41 »
Fish is a good one, especially salmon! Other thing I can suggest are things like chili con carne with rice because it's filling, quick and tasty. Please try and discourage the hotel from misinterpreting the idea behind our suggestions. They should still be meals or filling snacks. I'm concerned they may try and wheel out Cornish pasties and sausage rolls >_<

SouthPaw

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 08:16:08 »
Don't forget that feesh lovers are also catered for by Barnacles Restaurant on the opposite side of Watling Street from the Hotel, who offer 2 courses for £15 during the week, as well as an a la carte menu.

As for the Hotel, how about some British classics like Toad in the Hole, Fish and Chips, Stew and Dumplings, Spotted Dick, Jam Roly Poly, Syrup Sponge Pudding, Eton Mess and the like?

And while I'm at it, having things like Sausage Sandwiches and Bacon Sandwiches (with no sides) available around lunchtime (so from around 10 'til 6 for staffers  ;D ) would be a welcome addition, so that we can grab stuff on the go without having to head back into town.

And not food, but drink, there's bound to be real ale drinkers amongst the membership, so I'm sure a barrel or three of something would go down well...

Cheers,

Southie
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 08:23:03 by SouthPaw »

Offline SnowTiger

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 15:15:56 »
I would say keep it simple and cheap. Chicken and chips are good and so is quorn ? for those who are fussy about the meat they eat and like a reasonable alternative.

Offline SnowTiger

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 15:18:51 »
Off topic I know but all of this should be offered either on a plate as desired or in a large stainless steel bowl ( I often eat my lunch out of a large stainless steel Dog/Cat bowl).

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 16:44:53 »
I am rather partial to a nice chicken curry, rice and narn bread. Always a good way to fill up on good food.
Warning: Do not expose to shiny things.

Offline Nidonocu

• Purchasing, Picnic, Pawpets
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • Poison Bunny
    • View Profile
    • @Nidonocu
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 10:00:00 »
The pizza idea last year was nice but.. maybe poorly executed. Single large pizza slices for a £1 of a few different types would be nice as snacks.

I'm a fan of flavourful hot foods myself so plenty of spicy hot dishes: curries, chilli, even fajitas! :)

Also, on a technical note, I have a personal request from my mate that burgers be on seedless buns! Allergy thing. ^^

Puddings like ice creams, cake slices, other light deserts and some traditional deserts like the ones Southpaw suggested!

Generally speaking, getting snacks for around £1 to £2 and bigger meals for £5 to £8 would be great if the quality is high. :)
Nidonocu C:\>

Offline lamar

• I'm on here as much as I can!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2011, 10:37:36 »
A nice selection of vegie foods would be good. (Something more than 'the vegetarian option'.)

For the breakfast buffet, veggie sausages will be nice! And fresh fruit! And tongs that aren't shared between the meat and the vegetarian stuff! I'm okay with it myself, but others get picky.

On the budget 'grab and go' lunch offering, pizza slices would be good. Just avoid olives, it's one of those things that isn't as universally liked on pizza as people think! And personally, I can't have spinach because of allergies. It would be nice if they offered veggie burgers or veggie-saus-ina-bun as well. The blueberry muffin always makes a good option too. Again, Fresh Fruit is a great grab-and-go snack, and not just for us vegetarians.

For the cheaper 'bar food' dinners,
Bean-n-quorn chili and tortila chips is good, and a decent veggie/bean burger. Nachos or potato wedges, with salsa dip are also good.

Offline Blaster2

• I'm on here as much as I can!
  • The 2nd coming....is coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 17:35:51 »
Chicken in a Basket!! How often I have wished somewhere would do that again!!

Offline Swolf

• Track Lead - Dances
  • CFz Staff
  • Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 16:23:49 »
Hi All,
Just to consolidate the ideas and the fact I like my food so some extra ideas have been mixed in, feel free to add any more.
Breakfasts – full English / continental / toast – fruit and yogurts, and chance of pancakes?  :D

Light bites / starters – nachos, potato wedges, chicken strips, chicken wings, onion rings, garlic bread
Mains:

- Pizza – Slices or whole – range of toppings (meat free as well as meat), option for less cheese
e.g. Pepperoni , ham, pineapple, pastrami, tuna etc

- Burgers – Veggie (bean or quorn/both), Beef , minted lamb, chicken (either breaded or the current trend is butterfly cut chicken breast char grilled).

Chips as an option / side alternative jacket spuds / mash / new potatoes / potato wedges

Jacket potatoes with various toppings
e.g. cheese , coleslaw, beans, chilli (meat and meat free), tuna

Chilli – both meat and meat free versions – with rice / tortillas. Chicken fajitas / burritos etc.

Currys – chicken / lamb with nahn / rice / popadom – vegetable options available (cubed potatoes / sweet potatoes and butternut squash are nice in milder dishes). Also Thai currys are nice as well. Mild /medium / hot options.

Steak / Grills – Beef – fillet / sirloin / rump  etc, gammon with pineapple / egg – rack of ribs. surf and turf

Slow cooked Beef stroganoff with rice and wild mushrooms

Chicken in a Basket

Chicken and chips (1/4 roast)

Salmon / Fish dishes (inc fish and chips), scampi

Sausages - Sausage + mash / Toad in the Hole / veggie sausages option

Stew and Dumplings (beef / lamb)

Steak and Ale pie / chicken and mushroom / leek and mushroom.

Pasta – Salad (using a range of pesto like dressings, classic green / sun dried tomatoes / tomatoes and ricotta / tomatoe and chilli nice hot or cold, carbenara nice hot  :D

Lasagne / spag bol – pasta dishes with various sauces.

Scotch pies

Sausage Sandwiches and Bacon Sandwiches (with no sides) available around lunchtime (so from around 10 'til 6 for staffers)

Deserts:
Spotted Dick, Jam Roly Poly, Syrup Sponge Pudding, Eton Mes, ice cream sundaes , cake (warm chocolate fudge) muffins (blueberry, lemon, chocolate) carrot cake / coffee cake. Waffle with syrup and ice cream, cheese cake. Banoffee pie. Pancakes

Fresh fruit , melon apple mango orange pineapple etc.

And finally as a real ale drinker I concur that real ale is a nice addition if possible :)

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 16:25:37 by Swolf »