Author Topic: policy question?  (Read 10638 times)

Offline Rwylin

• CFz Senior Security
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
policy question?
« on: December 08, 2011, 10:27:20 »
i was just wondering what is your policy concerning ppl with disabilities?
I have arthritis in both knees (which means i cant stand for long perious of time), i know there is alot of space in the hotel and thus there will be lots of seating but i have been told that the que for registration is very long and usualy takes a long time to get through, so was wondering how that will work out.

I am also staying with someone who has Photosensitive epilepsy so i was wondering if there will be any strobe lighting in the dance/other areas?. (i hope not as i dont wanna call 999 during the con)

Any help will be welcome, Thank you!!!!!
Mew =^_^=.

Offline Dingotush

• SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • The real wolf's lair
Re: policy question?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 12:36:43 »
We try to accommodate people with disabilities as best we can.  One of the reasons the hotel was chosen is that all but one event room is accessible (that last one has a single step).

The registration line has only really been long if you choose to queue before registration opens, or try and register early on before the rush has died down.  Lots of people choose to do this.  We've plans this year to have reg open earlier and longer, which should get rid of much of the problem.  If you've specific problems that prevent you standing in line at all then I'm sure we can sort something out.

It is important that you, and your friend, fill in the medical information part of the registration form so we can plan accordingly.

We have had strobe lighting in the past for the dances, and post a notice outside when strobe lights may be used.  I don't know if the team rigging the nightclub are planning to have any this year.  In general the earlier dances have higher levels of illumination, mainly for fursuiters with poor vision, and things get darker and the effects cranked up as the night goes on.  Unfortunately, strobes aren't the only lighting effect that can trigger photosensitive epilepsy, as I'm sure your friend is aware, and the other dancers often have glowing and flashing accessories, so they may have to exercise caution around the dances.

ConFuzzled does have a team trained in first-aid should the worst occur.
Who was she kidding?  It was easy to be a vegetarian by day.  It was preventing yourself from becoming a humanitarian by night that took the real effort. - Angua (Pterry)

SouthPaw

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 15:40:59 »
We have had strobe lighting in the past for the dances, and post a notice outside when strobe lights may be used.  I don't know if the team rigging the nightclub are planning to have any this year.  In general the earlier dances have higher levels of illumination, mainly for fursuiters with poor vision, and things get darker and the effects cranked up as the night goes on.  Unfortunately, strobes aren't the only lighting effect that can trigger photosensitive epilepsy, as I'm sure your friend is aware, and the other dancers often have glowing and flashing accessories, so they may have to exercise caution around the dances.

Just to add to that, it's also possible that strobes and other such lighting effects will be used during certain stage events, such as the Pawpet Show. Again, I'd expect such things to be flagged up outside the rooms in question.

Cheers,

Southie

Offline Rwylin

• CFz Senior Security
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 16:43:29 »
we have filled out the medical portion of the aplication.
I juat thaught i would ask here as i havent seen anything around on how this all works and cos its my first con i wanted to make sure that everything was sorted early.
Mew =^_^=.

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 17:09:11 »
There's also all the lovely and super first aiders that help out too during the whole convention if someone should fall ill or have a problem in that regard.
Warning: Do not expose to shiny things.

Offline LevLion

• Stage & A/V Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • My FA Account
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 20:13:07 »
Having more than one photosensitive guest this year we will try and steer away from using strobes in the dances completly and as of yet no one has asked for any in the stage room so we will plan accordingly. But as already covered other things may cause an issue but we will try and post warnings in advance.
I for one welcome our Muppet overloards.

Offline lamar

• I'm on here as much as I can!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 20:32:42 »
It'd be really nice if you could put some kind of statement on Accessibility and Photosensitive issues on the website.

Offline Ceil Fox

• CFz Staff
  • Cookie Eater
  • Dance A/V Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 22:34:27 »
I am in discussion with the chairman and other people regarding the use of strobe lighting during the dances. As with 2011 if strobe lighting, be it the Intelligent moving head lighting, LED battens or Xenon discharge strobes are going to be used there will be warnings posted and it will only be during certain times.

The tech of the dances at Confuzzled is operated and insured by Acoustic Armageddon, part of my AV company, our insurance and risk assessment / operational policy statement has been approved for the use of strobe lighting and all of our equipment is operated by experienced personnel.

Just as Lev with his responsibility as the head of AV for the main stage will declare the use of any flashing lights etc, i am the technical manager for the nightclubs and will declare the use of any flashing lights / strobes when a decision is reached.

We will make the policy RE strobe lighting public fairly soon.

Confuzzled Dance A/V Manager, Acoustic Armageddon

Offline Rwylin

• CFz Senior Security
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 10:22:30 »
Thank you for the replys.
Im vary glad to hear that there are warnings around to say when theres strobe lighting in use and that there are always first aiders on hand.
As this is my first con i was concerned about my friends health when it came to the lighting and my own with the standing issue.
Its also nice to see that some events are happy to help ppl with disabilitys as i have been to some where they will not help and you are made to feel like a child if you do ask for help.
Mew =^_^=.

Offline Ceil Fox

• CFz Staff
  • Cookie Eater
  • Dance A/V Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 18:13:59 »
IF the strobe is to be used in the nightclubs, we will be running some periods with and some periods without, as with last year there will be a warning 5 minutes before use made by the DJ and the signage will be altered.

We will be installing a heavy floor-to-ceiling stagecloth threshold between the main level of the nightclub and its slightly lower levels, this is for 2 reasons, it is to keep light within the nightclub and to deaden the noise a little bit so people can have a slightly more chilled area, this will have a heavily overlapping doorway so that the light is 100% stopped, even if the strobe WAS in use it would not affect the lower area.

Generally if you ask say 500 people, you will get <5 with PSE, you will get maybe 50 that just don't want a strobe, 100 that don't care and the remainder that want it, its a tough call because its no better denying those people that DO want it as supporting those people that DON'T want it, finding a compromise is what its all about.

Now we have a new venue, 2012 is going to be a demonstration of 'What we can do' as we will not be short of power and will have less of a space constraint, watch the Lakeside suite in late may *grins*

Obviously chillout music, cheese and the like isn't helped by strobe lighting anyway so why use it . . . however, trance, the inevitable Dub Step and other heavy genres are.

I just bought a pair of Martin / Jem Hazers so certain Foxotes and Spotcats will be able to cause less carnage by accidently 4 gallons of smoke fluid in 4 dances . . .

The equipment being installed for confuzzled will remain a closely guarded secret for all but a close group of staff, there are several things at confuzzled 2012 that will be VERY special indeed, we, as Acoustic Armageddon intend to make the dances one of them.

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 21:37:00 »
I was wondering there for a moment, I thought Ceil said he'd bought some Dr. Martins (as in the boots) and wondered what that had to do with lighting.

More is more!

Offline LevLion

• Stage & A/V Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • My FA Account
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 09:43:17 »
You have to polish Dr martins too much to make them shine!
I for one welcome our Muppet overloards.

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 22:29:42 »
I vote for getting in 100 Vega bins and turning them all on maximum power just so we can hear 'I canna' keep this goin' capt'n, any more and she'll blow!'

Offline neweinstein

• I'm on here as much as I can!
    • View Profile
    • Furaffinity account
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 17:11:26 »
I am also staying with someone who has Photosensitive epilepsy so i was wondering if there will be any strobe lighting in the dance/other areas?. (i hope not as i dont wanna call 999 during the con)

How is it with flash when taking photos? Does that have an effect?

I think there will be a lot of people taking photos and depending on the light conditions many will use flash (some cameras even activate the flash automatically without the user knowing about it).

neweinstein
„Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand." (Albert Einstein, 1931)

Offline Ceil Fox

• CFz Staff
  • Cookie Eater
  • Dance A/V Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 14:37:52 »
Generally it is repeated flashes that are a problem, also the nightclub strobe is ~1000 times the power, i havent heard of photography at CF being a problem in the past? anyone know of any instances?