Author Topic: Brony Meet  (Read 9911 times)

Offline lamar

• I'm on here as much as I can!
    • View Profile
Brony Meet
« on: February 12, 2012, 17:56:21 »
This happened unofficially at the last CFZ anyway, but it might be nice to assign a room and time for one!

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
Re: Brony Meet
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 19:10:22 »
Oh yes, I saw that on the notice boards on the day. I was a little busy to even poke my nose in though :)
Warning: Do not expose to shiny things.

Offline Fangorn

• Cookie Eater
  • :9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 23:32:02 »
/)°3°(\

... yeey.

Offline RizzoRattie

• Venue Manager/Head of Fursuit Relations
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • Rat face!
    • View Profile
    • www.colifox.com
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 12:07:57 »
Hi Lamar,

if you are interested in running a Brony meet, could you please submit your request to the events team: events@confuzzled.org.uk

We acknowledged that this is indeed going to be an event that people would like to see but given that no one on the staff is really a MLP fan, we didnt know how to best implement it. Since you seem keen on the idea, please put your request in for a room and we can get it timetabled.

Thanks,

Rizzorat
------------
Venue Liaison &
Head of Fursuit Relations
Forgive me for not jumping for joy, bad back you know ~ Scar; The Lion King

Offline lamar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 22:32:28 »
If I can show one of the episodes, which one would you lot like to see? Right now, I'm leaning in the direction of either of "Winter Wrap Up" or "May The Best Pet Win!"

Offline Washu

• ConOps Deputy & GOH Liaison
  • CFz Staff
  • Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 18:41:31 »
So long as the media in question has been purchased through legal methods, i.e. DVD, I don't forsee this being an issue.

However we cannot permit the showing of any content if it has not been acquired through a legal method, I hope this helps clarify for you.
The next train to arrive is the 13:40 train to Hull, which is a pity as this is Tesco's.

Offline lamar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 20:50:42 »
A limit to physical media does limit it to basically one of the three episodes released on DVD. And I don't have a portable R1 DVD player anyway, so that makes it moot. The series is only available 'to own' otherwise via iTunes downloads to a US account, and I understand it if you'd rather not take the legal issues of showing those. It's mainly watched via Hasbro's 'The Hub' TV channel and their on-line streaming site, and that's a nest of legal issues and practical ones to access too.

Unfortunately, other than grey-market-imports, the only 'legally licensed distribution' of the show in the UK is a single mid-week mid-afternoon showing on 'Boomerang' who are sitting on the UK rights. Hasbro made the epic mistake of selling the R2 distribution rights to a company with competing toys in the UK market.

To clarify, the only way I'll be able to show an episode then, is if you're okay with my showing iTunes downloads "imported" from a US account.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 21:10:25 by lamar »

Offline Washu

• ConOps Deputy & GOH Liaison
  • CFz Staff
  • Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 23:00:21 »
Ah you've misunderstood Lamar, by media I meant in any form be this legally purchased through iTunes or similar retailer or a DVD/BluRay, not limited to DVD.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 16:41:06 by Washu »
The next train to arrive is the 13:40 train to Hull, which is a pity as this is Tesco's.

Offline Fermi

• Nightclub Deputy
  • CFz Staff
  • Omg, I post a lot!
  • Did someone say furfag~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 23:08:16 »
as I understand it, any media to be played out to an audience, paying or otherwise, has to be played in a venue with a specific license (akin to the PRS license music venues have), it's specified in the wall o' text (TM) that you're forced to watch before you can watch your DVD, so it's something you'd have to ask the hotel about, if I'm right.

Offline Matt the Lion

• Convention Chairman
  • Forum Admins
  • SuperFuzz!
  • King of the Jungle
    • View Profile
    • My Photography (Mostly big cats)
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 23:09:34 »
The hotel does have a public performance license, however we would need to double check how this is affected by anything that was purchased outside the UK.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."

Offline LevLion

• Stage & A/V Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • My FA Account
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 09:37:35 »
Its definatly hazey when it comes to the exact rules. As Matt said the hotel is licenced for performances, but anything broadcast in a public area (to guests) will require a licence too and in some weird cases different licences for different formats. Then theres the fact its not a UK purchase anyway, if its licenced to someone else over here to the company who owns the rights in the states where you technically bought it then I think you would need permission from the UK licence holder too unlike things lke showing european TV here where there is no UK licence holder.
You will also need to check what was in the terms and conditions when you bought the download sometimes it even says your not legally allowed to buy or download something out of the country even if it technically works. If that was the case then regardless if the download worked you would have broken their terms and conditions making it an illegal copy anyway.

Yeah I know it sucks its a mine field of red tape and dead ends this kinda thing and theres never a straight answer.

Just be thankful its not music, some stupid music liecences require you to list each track your playing and exactly at what time of what day that track will play. XD
I for one welcome our Muppet overloards.

Offline lamar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 18:51:20 »
Ah well...

Would there be any problem showing the Fair-Use Parody series "Friendship is Witchcraft"?

Offline LevLion

• Stage & A/V Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • My FA Account
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 21:23:29 »
I personally cant see an issue there if its fair use.
No sure on the exact rules for bradcasting copyrighted characters for use as parody, I "think" its ok.
I for one welcome our Muppet overloards.

Offline Stik

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 20:08:58 »
You could perhaps arrange a reading of a short fanfiction?  Can't imagine there's any issues with that, and there's some excellent material out there :)

Offline lamar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 13:17:32 »
You could perhaps arrange a reading of a short fanfiction?  Can't imagine there's any issues with that, and there's some excellent material out there :)

Fanfiction tends to make me twitchy, I had a bad experience at a con once where someone cornered me at the buffet breakfast and told me all about their Reboot fanfic... But I have no objection, so long as I am given sufficient time to flee the room gibbering.