Author Topic: Shuttle Service and Travel  (Read 7037 times)

Offline RizzoRattie

• Venue Manager/Head of Fursuit Relations
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • Rat face!
    • View Profile
    • www.colifox.com
Shuttle Service and Travel
« on: March 06, 2012, 16:31:30 »
Hi all,

I am pleased to announce that ConFuzzled have now agreed on a shuttle service to be provided to and from the convention from 2 key local transport hubs.  There will be a service available from Birmingham International Airport, and Nuneaton Train station both on Friday 25th May and Monday 28th May.

This will be a timetabled service running at set times, and is NOT available on Thursday or Tuesday.  If you are arriving or departing on those days, you will still need to make inward/outward bound journey arrangements.

Please see the website for more details

http://www.confuzzled.org.uk/premiere/venue/travel-instructions/

All other travel information has been updated also.

Many thanks,

Rizzorat
----------
Venue Liaison &
Head of Fursuit Relations
Forgive me for not jumping for joy, bad back you know ~ Scar; The Lion King

Offline raereira

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
Re: Shuttle Service and Travel
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 17:36:51 »
why isnt it goin to the train station thats 2 miles away
r there taxis at that one

Offline Cosmo

• Dealers' Den Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 17:43:31 »
Hinckley isn't a main-line station, and therefore is more awkward to get a train to, whereas Nuneaton is on a main line.

You can get taxis from Hinckley, in fact there is a small taxi office in the car park

Offline RizzoRattie

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • Rat face!
    • View Profile
    • www.colifox.com
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 21:06:37 »

The Hinckely Train station is serviceable by the same Cross Country Train service that goes through Nuneaton to/from Birmingham New Street.  It was deemed that the station in Hinckely is close enough for people to get a Taxi.  As well as there being a taxi office outside, there will no doubt be black cabs available in and around the station too.  Ultimately, it isn't actually the conventions responsibility to get people to the convention, but of course we want to show committment to our attendees given that we have moved this year to a slightly geographically isolated area compared to our previous venues.

Hopefully on the most part, everyone will be happy with this service and it will provide the flexibility that most need to get to the venue.

Kind Regards,

Rizzo

Offline doco

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 22:52:33 »
Well, it certainly is something, but unfortunately it's not worth anything for people travelling on the Midland Main Line instead of the West Coast Main Line. (And I'll surely _not_ drag my bags from St Pancras to Euston again, like in 2010!  ::))

FWIW, since you've unfortunately decided not to offer a shuttle from Hinckley station, is there enough local service capacity to get people from A to B? Unlike previous years, there's no bus service within walking distance of the hotel, and I wouldn't expect a town of 20,000 or thereabouts to have more than just a few taxis. (My town of 15,000 has a total of four!)

Some local information would be nice. Also, do the local companies KNOW you're having a convention there? Just asking because of 15 years prior experience with EF...  ;D

Offline RizzoRattie

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • Rat face!
    • View Profile
    • www.colifox.com
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 23:10:14 »
Hi Doco,

Hinckley Station Taxis: (01455) 614 444
Central Taxis: (01455) 251 125
A1 Taxis: (01455) 61 51 61

(thanks to Southpaw for providing this information)

As for local amenities, yes, they are aware we are having a convention.  The local shops have been advised on the sort of stock that will sell well, and restaurants have been approached, but since they work usually on a full house with a wait for tables, none have offered us any discounts because even with or without our business, their argument is that they will have full capacity. 

I will correct you however regarding previous years there being no local bus service.  There was both a bus stop immediately outside of the Britannia Hotel, as well as a shuttle service to and from the hotel provided by the hotel itself.  However, its a moot point because this year is now the concern.

Since you have worked EF for 15 years, you will understand when I say the next statement: 'there is no pleasing everyone'.  We feel that this service is more than adequate and there were operational reasons as to why we decided NOT to include Hinckley.  We hope that we might be able to offer a preferred rate for a local taxi company, but at the moment, this currently isnt available. If we do obtain one, this information will of course be updated on the website, and an announcement made.  Given the distance being only 2 miles however, it is unlikely we will be able to manage a discounted rate, but we are trying.

My advise would be to obviously pre-plan your journey, which you no doubt are doing, and book a taxi in advance.  Me and my travel companions did this 2 years running when travellign to EF in the Ringburg and we encountered no problems.

Kind regards,

Rizzo

Offline Andi_Raccoon

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 21:31:12 »
Hi Rizzo!

I've got a question regarding the shuttle service: I understand, the bus picks up attendees until its full and drives to the hotel according to the timetable. So if there would be more than 49 people, they need to wait for the next round?

You also mentioned the Hinckley train station being 2 miles away. Is it possible for someone with light baggage to go by feet from there? The distance would be only 1/2 hour walk.

Offline Washu

• ConOps Deputy & GOH Liaison
  • CFz Staff
  • Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 00:47:39 »
Hello Andi,

I believe you are correct in assuming that if the bus is full you will need to wait for the next one should you wish to use the service.

In regards to your second question, it is possible, if you are willing to walk from Hinckley rail station to the hotel, however I would strongly advise not doing this and instead using the local taxi firm whom are located in the stations car park. If you see Rizzo's post above you'll also find the numbers for local firms who can take you down to the hotel.

Hopefully this has answered your questions.

Washu
The next train to arrive is the 13:40 train to Hull, which is a pity as this is Tesco's.

Offline RizzoRattie

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • Rat face!
    • View Profile
    • www.colifox.com
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 01:10:47 »
Hi Rizzo!

I've got a question regarding the shuttle service: I understand, the bus picks up attendees until its full and drives to the hotel according to the timetable. So if there would be more than 49 people, they need to wait for the next round?

You also mentioned the Hinckley train station being 2 miles away. Is it possible for someone with light baggage to go by feet from there? The distance would be only 1/2 hour walk.

Hi Andi,

With regards to the bus load, indeed if it was full (operating on a first come, first served basis) then you would need to wait until the next service.  Given the similiar shuttle service that was available at Britannia by the hotel itself, from experience, it was never in danger of being close to capacity.  We are confident that this will not become an issue.  However, we need to stress that this is a free complimentary service based on best effort.  We want to make things as easy as possible for attendees coming from far afield and hopefully there will be no issues, but its still worth while investigating any other travel arrangements as a contingency just incase of the worst case scenario.

With regards to walking, indeed you could walk it if you feel fit.  This is the route:

http://bit.ly/xPQJZF

Hope this answers your questions.

Many thanks,

Rizzo

Offline Andi_Raccoon

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 18:46:09 »
Yes, this answers my questions, thank you.

I would really like to use the bus service, but i also like to have a plan B at hand, in case something goes wrong.

A5 doesn't really look like it has a sufficient pavement, and running fast enough to use the road itself is always so unrelaxing...
I'm really ok with waiting for a bus, or taking a taxi just in case. It's just that where i live, i get almost everywhere comfortably by foot. So this was just an idea.