Author Topic: Sorry if it's been asked... Train question  (Read 7314 times)

Offline Cebelius

• Cookie Maker
  • Evil Looms. Cowboy Up. Kill It. Get Paid.
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Veil
Sorry if it's been asked... Train question
« on: April 14, 2012, 02:46:01 »
Do I need to purchase my ticket for a train from the airport at BHX to Leicester or can I walk up to the counter day of and be assured a seat?  It seems the schedule has trains running all day, but I'd rather not find out when I get there that they're routinely sold out or some other avoidable non-sense.

Since I really have no idea how long it'll take me to get through customs, I don't want to buy a train ticket early unless I have to.  Thoughts?  Suggestions?

I'll be arriving at somewhere around 0900 on the 25th.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Offline Cosmo

• Dealers' Den Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry if it's been asked... Train question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 06:55:18 »
It depends on which company is running the train. Virgin Trains and CrossCountry Trains are frequently standing room only whereas the smaller (yeah, I know) LondonMidland commuter trains will usually have seats available. It's usually safer to reserve a seat in advance, though, as that's the only way you'll be guaranteed one
Also, if you book your tickets in advance, they're usually cheaper than buying them on the day.

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 08:52:46 »
The problem with trying to travel at that time is that you're in the middle of commuter times. You might find it a good idea to have something to eat and a rest before travelling onwards. Although coming from the airport it won't be all that much of a difference.
Warning: Do not expose to shiny things.

Offline Washu

• ConOps Deputy & GOH Liaison
  • CFz Staff
  • Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 10:43:38 »
You may also want to consider waiting at the airport until 1000 for the free coach service that we're putting on. More details for this are on the website.
The next train to arrive is the 13:40 train to Hull, which is a pity as this is Tesco's.

Offline raereira

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 11:41:03 »
u can normal get on a train then get ur ticket fro the conductor

Offline Washu

• CFz Staff
  • Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 15:57:17 »
u can normal get on a train then get ur ticket fro the conductor

I'm afraid that this isn't possible, boarding a train in the UK without a ticket is classed as trespassing and punished with either a fine of £30 or double the cost of a single ticket to your intended destination. As such what I would suggest is either make use of our coach service or purchase them in advance having them either for collection or delivered of you so choose.

If you need to find fares we do have a topic about that open topic regarding fares here http://forum.confuzzled.org.uk/index.php?topic=1778.0  or alternatively let me know via PM for any help.
The next train to arrive is the 13:40 train to Hull, which is a pity as this is Tesco's.

Offline raereira

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 16:10:18 »
thats not true i never buy my ticket in advance i always get them on the train with no problem what so ever and there never twice the price
ex: if there ticket booth is closed were would u get ur ticket  answer train

Offline Washu

• CFz Staff
  • Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 16:29:01 »
thats not true i never buy my ticket in advance i always get them on the train with no problem what so ever and there never twice the price

With Birmingham International station the area is known as a penalty fare area - boarding a train without a ticket in this area will result in a fine. This is at the guards discretion however, but I must state the rules that are laid out officially and give accurate advice regarding any aspect asked.

Offline raereira

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 16:30:51 »
lol did not no that i am sorry
i normal travel fro grimsby town

Offline RizzoRattie

• Venue Manager/Head of Fursuit Relations
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • Rat face!
    • View Profile
    • www.colifox.com
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 16:34:03 »

In Birmingham, all stations have a permit to travel, which need to be pruchased from the station you are getting onto the train from, in lieu of an open booth.  This can be purchased for pennies, but its ultimately a ticket that proves what station you got on from.  Without this, there is no evidence at all for the conductor to prove what station you did or did not get on from, and ultimately you run the risk of being penalised as a fayre dodger.  However, you can board a train without it, but you must make yourself known to the conductor at the earliest opportunity, as per the National Rail Enquiries website

The advice we would give is  ensure to buy your ticket in advance, or ensure you have your permit to travel.  If you are arriving at international airport, the station here has automated systems for you to purchase tickets, as does new street.  

Hope this helps.

Rizzorat
Forgive me for not jumping for joy, bad back you know ~ Scar; The Lion King

Offline Cebelius

• Cookie Maker
  • Evil Looms. Cowboy Up. Kill It. Get Paid.
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Veil
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 16:48:20 »
This is exactly the sort of information I needed.  Much appreciated.  I may wait for the coach or purchase a ticket for a later train depending on the differences in travel time (how much longer the coach takes) and the likelihood of there being a spot open on the coach (I imagine this is probably right in the middle of prime time for the service to be utilized and there are others who may not have as many options as I do) so we'll see, but if I do get a train ticket I'll be sure to purchase it at least a few days in advance.
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

SouthPaw

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 18:41:23 »
For reference, given the proximity of Birmingham International to the convention venue it's no cheaper to buy a ticket in advance than it is to turn up on the day and buy it from the Ticket Office (which is open 05:40 - 21:00 Monday to Saturday and 07:40 - 09:00 on Sunday.

If travelling by train, the best option from Birmingham International is to go to Nuneaton, which involves one change of train at Coventry. If you leave after 09:00 you can get an Off-Peak Return (valid for return within one calendar month, travelling after 09:00 Monday to Friday in both directions) for £9.60. If you leave before 09:00 you can only get a Single each way, which costs £7.70 per journey.

Penalty Fares do NOT apply on CrossCountry or Virgin Trains services, but if you board a train without a valid ticket and the Ticket Office is open and/or Ticket Machines are working, you will only be sold a full price Single on board.

Cheers,

Southie, your friendly neighbourhood railtig

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 20:39:27 »
One other note, certain tickets are valid for particular operators only and even holding a ticket between the two stations will not be valid and will need a new ticket to be bought. Normally that's on London Midland / Virgin services etc.
Warning: Do not expose to shiny things.

Offline Tungro

• Deputy of Registration, Video Team Member
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I'm an otter in the water, swimming around...
    • View Profile
    • Riverdog.net
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 14:42:48 »
Best advice therefore: if travelling to Birmingham International, buy a ticket from the ticket office as it's no cheaper buying in advance, and the member of staff in the ticket office can make sure you've got the right ticket for the journey you want to make.