Author Topic: A question about opening times and cultural refs  (Read 6181 times)

Offline Amethyst

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
A question about opening times and cultural refs
« on: May 01, 2012, 22:24:00 »
So I was having a look through the auction guidelines again and I noticed this;

Saturday: 9:00-18:00 (9:00-10:00 Sponsors only)

Will there be bidding between 9-10 or is it just for viewing? It would seem unfair on the artists if there stuff was put on live auction between these times when there are fewer people in the room.

Also, I know theres a 'no copyrighted' characters rule but what about an anthro version of a popular film character taking little things about there design so they are recognisable but not a copy. An example would be; An anthro wolf Jack Sparrow. He has the hat, hair, beard etc but he's not a direct copy. I'm using that as an example, as I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Offline Cosmo

• Dealers' Den Manager
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
Re: A question about opening times and cultural refs
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 22:47:54 »
Hi Amethyst
The Art Show is not live bidding, its pre-bidding. If items get enough bids in pre-bidding then they go through to the live auction on Sunday evening. If they don't get enough bids for the live auction they sell for whatever the highest bid is when the Art Show closes on the Sunday (You choose a minimum bid when you submit the item). The Sponsor early entry is just an extra benefit for sponsors where they get to have the first look, before the room gets too crowded, though they can still bid.

As far as the copyrighted characters goes, as long as it's an homage and not a direct copy then that would be ok. For example, drawing your own interpretation of what Puss in Boots should look like should be fine, drawing the Dreamworks version of him and selling it, on the other hand, would not be.

Hope that helps :)

Offline Amethyst

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 18:23:53 »
thanks! Also; another question.

How is our art displayed? Is it just pinned up, given a temporary mount, laid out on a table?

I think I saw that we couldn't sell framed stuff ( due to glass).

Offline Cosmo

• Dealers' Den Manager
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 19:31:43 »
Hi Amethyst,
Most artwork is hung on Gridwall panels, though if we runout of space on the panels we then use tables.

We prefer artwork to be framed, as this protects the art better, though clip frames do have a tendency to come apart because of the types of hook we have to use on the Gridwall, so more traditional frames are better.

Offline Amethyst

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 22:41:27 »
Okey dokey, I'll get a frame. I want looking at a canvas too which would have been even trickier!

I guess because its hung up, no 3D stuff? I have a custom pony I'd like to auction is all...

Offline Cosmo

• Dealers' Den Manager
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 23:33:15 »
3D stuff is fine, as there'll be tables available for that sort of item anyway :)

Offline Danza

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
    • My FA Page
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 23:22:24 »
I wanted to ask whilst on the subject of characters if it is acceptable to have art in the show/auction that is inspired from films? I have an image of furries standing together using my own interpretations of characters from the avengers and transforming them into furries based on what I felt was most suitable trait wise.

Here is the image for some clarification, an image speaks a thousand words: https://www.furaffinity.net/view/7947385/

I also have another image that was my interpretation of one of the characters from the Spyro series [NSFW]: https://www.furaffinity.net/view/6540740/

I wanted to ask if these are ok to sell as someone told me that despite me not having any direct association, text, logos or words that I would get banned from CF :C

Offline Cosmo

• Dealers' Den Manager
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 00:16:46 »
Hi Danza,
Those would be ok as they're not direct copies of the original characters, but are an homage. The issue, as we understand it, only arrises if you try to sell images that are identical to the original, as in my 'Puss in Boots' example above.
Also, we wouldn't automatically bar you from the con for trying to sell copyrighted items, we'd just refuse the submission, in the auctions case, or ask you to remove it from sale in the Dealers' Den. We'd only consider taking it further if you continued trying to sell it after we'd told you not to. Hope that reassures you :)

Offline Danza

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
    • My FA Page
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 00:25:34 »
Ah that makes sense. I figured my images definitely fell into that category simply due to how different they are from their inspirations.

Thanks for the fast reply n..n