Author Topic: Is this weapon acceptable?  (Read 3427 times)

Offline Hawker-Blue

• Cookie Maker
  • Toyburd Central
    • View Profile
    • FurAffinty Profile Page.
Is this weapon acceptable?
« on: April 27, 2013, 23:53:19 »
Hello their, just a quick question about the weapon rules this year as its a little bit... unclear to me.  I'm a little uncertain as to what would be considered an acceptable cold weapon. See I have this wooden sword I have spray painted silver to make it look a little more in fitting with the theme, but am now a tad concerned that it looks perhaps a bit too proper if you will, to be used in general con wear. Not being able to wear it would mostly ruin my costume as i'm going for that knight's look. I am also interested in what the rules in relation to peace bound, I would assume that means to stay sheathed at all times?  Does this also apply to wooden large shields?  Again I only ask because if so, I need to figure out how to strap a shield to my back nice and quick, heh.

https://twitter.com/Hawker_Blue/status/328100527651053568/photo/1

A link to my twitter of the sword in question, and moreso if it would be accepted. If not, I need to pick up another one quickly. I am having a minor issue right now, so cannot really do anything with my keyboard, which is very annoying.

Cheers muchly.

Hawker

Born Ready, Died Dead.

Offline Dhary Montecore

• Head of Security
  • SuperFuzz!
  • MI:3 - Party on, we got your back!
    • View Profile
    • dhary.de
Re: Is this weapon acceptable?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 00:55:03 »
Hello Hawker-Blue,

thanks for asking prior to the convention. :3

Due to the theme this year the weapon policy is a tad less strict than usual. Unfortunately it isn't really possible to say what is acceptable and what isn't as you would be astonished by the things people come up with. And yes, "peace bound" means, that the sword is fixed in its sheath/holster by a cabletie, a piece of string or the like.

Now to your sword: If I got you right, it is made of wood and only painted. So it would be okay for you to carry it as part of your costume. We'd refrain from requiring it to be peace-bound, if you give me your word, that you won't wave it around in public or do any other stupid things that could harm anyone or anything. I still believe in common sense.

You can draw it for a photoshoot or the like, as long as you don't wave it around. Of course you're also responsible that no one else draws the sword from you to play around with it.

So, go ahead, I trust that you'll use common sense. Please honour this trust by being careful. :3

One requirement though: Please make sure that you check in your sword and every weapon that you might have with you in the ConOps office as soon as you arrive on site! If you're encountered with an unchecked weapon, we'd have a serious talk. ;3
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 00:58:21 by Dhary Montecore »

Offline Hawker-Blue

• Cookie Maker
  • Toyburd Central
    • View Profile
    • FurAffinty Profile Page.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 20:44:22 »
Ah i see. If i was honest, i would probably prefer it to be bound in its sheath by string (so it can be untied if required, but not drawn otherwise) as occasionally i can get a little carried away and would rather not. I must also ask about a shield i will carry, which is around three feet tall by two wide, kite design also made out of wood. Would i be required to create a method of sheathing that as well (to my back i would think) or would that be alright to be held in an offhand. I'm just making sure i cover the bases before i arrive, because my costume does revolve around having these two objects on my person. If so, i need to fix up a method of doing it! (some kind of strap, belt or such with a coat hanger hook would do it methinks)

Thank you for your swift response too. I want to make sure i cover everything (mostly) before i arrive, just because i do not want to be caught out. Also, just out of interest, where are the Conops offices going to be? i have not been to a convention before, nor this hotel.

Cheers
Hawker
Born Ready, Died Dead.

Offline Dhary Montecore

• Head of Security
  • SuperFuzz!
  • MI:3 - Party on, we got your back!
    • View Profile
    • dhary.de
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 21:13:55 »
Well I don't think peace binding the shield should be necessary. If you say yourself that you tend to get carried away, I strongly suggest that you tie down your sword yourself and refrain from carrying it when you're going to drink alcohol.

Just bring both to the ConOps office when you arrive, then we'll sort out any details.

You'll find the ConOps office in conference room 4. That is on the corner of "main street" and "london street". Just refer to the hotels map you'll find in your conbook, which you will get when you register on site. :3