Author Topic: 2013 Shirt design  (Read 17168 times)

Offline Amethyst

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
2013 Shirt design
« on: June 03, 2013, 20:21:33 »
I have a little thing to say about the shirts and saw no one else making a thread so I thought I'd start.

I found this years design kinda, meh. The art is ok, if a little rushed looked and jarring. It took me a bit to figure out it was a badger walking through trees. But it looks like any other wildlife tee that you could get from a Zoo or something.

All the previous year's shirts told you the theme of the con and were furry. '11 had 1920s Furs, '12 had a film star Brok.

I was hoping for a nice distinctly furry shirt for my extra money paid. Maybe Brok as a knight, or Heraldric Beast.

I had to go and buy myself a 2011 shirt to make up for it.

Offline James The Dog

• Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: 2013 Shirt design
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 23:05:37 »
I admit I have to agree, nothing about the shirt really says anything about the con or the theme. It took me ages to make out there was a badger there, and it doesn't look like Brok, and the Confuzzled logo is very small and hard to see as well. I would have liked something more in line with the shirts the hotel staff were wearing- they were great- such a shame we won't be back there next year.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 23:09:33 by James The Dog »

Offline Shirik

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 08:40:00 »
I personally liked the shirt - I thought it was a lovely design. Also there are a lot of attendees who do not like showing their furriness as openly as others, such as if they want to wear it to work on a casual day. There are also a growing number of mature furries (30+) who do not actually LIKE shirts with big toony characters on them.

I like both kinds of shirt don't get me wrong, but I personally feel that this years shirt is my favorite so far and it's one I would be happy to wear outside of the con. Props to the artist who did the work and hope to see as nice a shirt next year!

Offline aurora

• I'm on here as much as I can!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 11:14:09 »
I found this year's T shirt to be a little bland like something the staff at a garden centre would wear as part of their work uniform. I preferred the one's the hotel staff were issued with the characters on the front.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 11:15:50 by aurora »

Offline Chad Blackwell

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 11:56:17 »
I saw a print of the actual Tshirt design during the Yard Sale and the subject matter was was much more apparent... just seems that transferring it to a t shirt may have removed a lot of the detail which meant that it took 3 days for me to spot the badger (and even then I spotted him the wrong way up, pointing a sword).

As for the lack of any overtly furcon themes to this shirt there are good and bad sides to this. I first saw the design and had a WTF moment but it has grown on me. It is a t shirt which I can wear in the street without any loud proclamations of furfaggotry on it, and yet many other furs will be able to see you in this shirt in the future and be able to know what con it is from... sort of like a secret code on the garment.

Offline Bezel

• CFz Senior Security
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 13:10:11 »
The t-shirt design was discussed at the feedback session on Monday morning.

As I recall, the decision to "tone down" the design and avoid massive "ConFuzzled 2013" straplines was taken as many people like to wear the t-shirts as normal t-shirts at work (for instance) and don't necessarily want to start answering possibly awkward questions about what "ConFuzzled" is.

The staff have taken note though, so there may be new developments for next year  :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 21:27:10 by Bezel »

Offline Amethyst

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 18:40:46 »
Thing is, if you want a shirt to wear outside "any day with no hassle", just buy a normal shirt or even one with an animal print on it. If you go to a con, you want a con shirt. Something that tells you about the con and the theme. I paid for Plus because I wanted a furry themed shirt, because I lack any thing like that. I was kinda disappointed, and it's not something I want to wear.

And yeah, the hotel staff shirts were a lot better! Does anyone know if these are available to buy? I think they were far superior and a better colour.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 18:42:31 by Amethyst »

Offline Bezel

• CFz Senior Security
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 18:49:17 »
And yeah, the hotel staff shirts were a lot better! Does anyone know if these are available to buy? I think they were far superior and a better colour.
Afaik, the hotel staff were not allowed to sell their t-shirts. The only one that was sold went in the live auction for charity :)

Offline RaithSphere

• CFz Senior Security
  • Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
    • RaithSphere.com
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 19:49:39 »
The hotel staff didn't get to keep their t-shirts, this was confirmed to be by several sources including one of the managers

Offline Bezel

• CFz Senior Security
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 19:52:15 »
The hotel staff didn't get to keep their t-shirts, this was confirmed to be by several sources including one of the managers
Aww, that's unfair  :(

Could someone at least send them one of the attendee t-shirts each as a momento ?

Offline Aurocard

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2013, 20:13:23 »
I personally think the shirts are rather spiffy. The colour, the design, the subtle simplicity with the look of a moonlit night. It's flat out awesome.

But, This is where the age old rule of "You can't please everyone" comes into play.

Not everyone is going to like this shirt, and it's sad that it is true. Not everyone likes toony con shirts either, and that's a shame as well. But not all of us like licorice or chocolate, or even...dare I say....Frog in the Boot. We're so different and so varied that it will be impossible to create a shirt design that will appease everyone.

Perhaps next year you'll have a shirt that's more to your liking! You never know :)

In the meantime, enjoy what you DID get out of the con. The book, the badges, the little shields. Those are nifty reminders that you can still show off to people if they have any questions (Specially the con book, that thing is full of furry goodness).

Aww, that's unfair  :(

Could someone at least send them one of the attendee t-shirts each as a momento ?

All the yes on that one. Totally agree there XD.

-Auro
I'm Kilroy.

Offline leinir

• Website Coder
  • Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2013, 21:23:37 »
i would just like to chime in on this, and that everybody i spoke with in person on the topic really liked this year's design. As Aurocard points out, obviously everybody will have different opinions, but not everybody's keen on the whole LOLFURRIES on their chest thing. For that matter, i feel similarly about non-furry conventions. As an example, my favourite non-furry convention t-shirt is another which similarly does not contain the name of the convention itself (not going to go on about which specifically it is, but it's a computing industry event, not another fandom). Just my couple of pennies on that one.

Offline Vector

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2013, 22:31:31 »
I agree with Amethyst :

MEH  ??? ??? ???

Offline James The Dog

• Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2013, 22:56:53 »
Most people I know felt the same as me. Surely when you go to a furrycon, the usual thing is a toony shirt with the name of the con emblazened on it- if you don't like it, nobody's making you buy it. I certainly much prefer a shirt which actually says something about the con it came from, you can get shirts with nightime treescapes on from lots of places, I like con shirts to be more unique. As people have said, if you don't want to be asked awkward questions about what "Confuzzled" is, then don't wear your shirt in any of those situations!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 23:01:42 by James The Dog »

Offline Amethyst

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2013, 23:08:15 »
if you don't like it, nobody's making you buy it.

This.

I paid extra for the plus because I was expecting something in the same vein as the other shirts. I was really excited to have maybe a Brok Knight or him fending a dragon from his cookies...

Maybe in future, we should get a preview of the shirt so people will know whether they'll like it or not.