Author Topic: The food  (Read 13050 times)

Offline RizzoRattie

• Venue Manager/Head of Fursuit Relations
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • Rat face!
    • View Profile
    • www.colifox.com
Re: The food
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 23:21:57 »

Thanks very much to Colin for all the work that went into food and drink this year.  I know those represent a large proportion of the work that goes into venue planning and this year I was very impressed.  I hope next year's hotel can be convinced to be flexible.

Thank you Ferret.  This was very much appreciated.  I have already started work on Hilton, and tomorrow I have meeting with the Event Manager to set very early on expectations of what we want based on just how fantastic Hinckley were this year.  I remain hopeful they will deliver a fantastic package to us.
Forgive me for not jumping for joy, bad back you know ~ Scar; The Lion King

Offline Shiinsuh

• CFz Senior Security
  • Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 10:16:22 »
Personally I had a really bad time with the food. I'm a bit of a fussy eater so thats mostly my fault.

For the breakfast there was very little I would really eat, all I really had was toast every morning. But it was nice that breakfast was free.
But when it came to the staff meal there was nothing at all on the menu I liked so ended up not eating anything all day. It would have been nice to have something simple. chips, pizza, pork sausage or something (no this isn't all I eat but when it comes to having meals away from home I'm very picky and only go with the generic food that you can go wrong with) I'm just glad I didn't have to pay for it.
Then it comes to prices... I felt that the price of the buffet was double what it should have been. I'm a light eater and would have only got one plate of food during the day so at £15 it was way too overpriced. I also didn't wanna opt for a con long meal ticket, because I doubted I would have even eat much of the food that was there, So it would have been a waste of money.

The little snack tables through the day were decent. They just needed to stay open longer and would have been nice if they had a bit more selection.
The late night snacks were ok, but could have done with been open earlier and stayed open later (that could have been fixed with snack table staying open all day) also the selection was crap... it would have been nice if they had both meat and veggie sausage for one.
One night we needed something to eat so we went over to the buffet and asked if we could get some chips and the hotel staff kindly got us a plate for £3 rather than having to go into the buffet, so that a big up to hotel staff there (this was before they started doing the snack tables)
Then there were the sandwiches they started doing at the bar. They were nice to have on the hot days, but they needed more selection, price was fine, but expected it to be cheaper. But at least when they ran out of something, i just asked the bar staff and they asked the chef to make us what we wanted, so that was awesome

At the end of the day I had to go out to tesco and get a loaf of bread and some meat and such to make my own sandwiches, that last me all con almost and that cost the price of one plate of chips at the snack table (£3) So thats a little perspective on the prices. I know its 4 star hotel, but we shouldn't have to pay 4 star prices for what I felt wasn't good food plus should have been cheaper because we was an organised event there.

Also then there are the non alcoholic drinks. They were really expensive almost £3 for a J2O at the bar I must have spent like £40 on J2Os. They should have had the fresh orange juice available at the bar or something at a decent price.
Then there were the drinks in the staff room. Needed more still drinks :) But I'm not complaining because its awesome that you guys had that for us. (don't worry I didn't take the piss, and was respectful of what was there)

So in conclusion. Next year;
There needs to be more simple food on, if its buffet style.
The prices need to be cheaper for buffet, snacks were a little expensive but when you're really hungry you're prepared to pay.
I'd prefer to have an option to pay per meal as it should work out cheaper for someone who only has one main meal a day.
A menu before the con / befor purchase of meal ticket so money isn't wasted if point 1 doesn't get sorted.
Snack tables were great idea. They just need to be open late and have more selection.
Sandwiches were a good idea, so were the snack tables.

I think that about covers everything

Shiin
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 10:28:49 by Shiinsuh »

Offline Cosmo

• Dealers' Den Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 13:34:04 »
it would have been nice if they had both meat and veggie sausage for one.
They did. My deputy is a vegetarian and went and asked if they had a veggie alternative one evening and they went and made him some. They might not have had it there with them (more meat eaters than not, no point in preparing lots of veggie stuff in advance if you don't know you can sell it etc, etc) but his experience was that if he asked them for it they were more than happy to get it for him.

Offline RaithSphere

• CFz Senior Security
  • Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
    • RaithSphere.com
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 16:25:59 »
he is talking more about when they did the Bacon butties and the Veggie Sausage baps one night i assume

Offline Shiinsuh

• CFz Senior Security
  • Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 17:30:46 »
it would have been nice if they had both meat and veggie sausage for one.
They did. My deputy is a vegetarian and went and asked if they had a veggie alternative one evening and they went and made him some. They might not have had it there with them (more meat eaters than not, no point in preparing lots of veggie stuff in advance if you don't know you can sell it etc, etc) but his experience was that if he asked them for it they were more than happy to get it for him.

he is talking more about when they did the Bacon butties and the Veggie Sausage baps one night i assume

Yeah I was talking about that night they had veggie sausage.

Offline yagfox

• CFz Crew
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 18:11:06 »
I liked the lunch buffet thing in the bar, quick pile of chips was an easy lunch!

Breakfast was spot on, I like a breakfast that isn't shy on the mushrooms!

Loved the mobile drinks service, always seemed to appear when I wanted a drink, and did us some very good deals on multiple purchases! :)

Offline aurora

• I'm on here as much as I can!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 23:45:37 »
At the end of the day I had to go out to tesco and get a loaf of bread and some meat and such to make my own sandwiches, that last me all con almost and that cost the price of one plate of chips at the snack table (£3) So thats a little perspective on the prices. I know its 4 star hotel, but we shouldn't have to pay 4 star prices for what I felt wasn't good food plus should have been cheaper because we was an organised event there.

The hotel it's a business and they have to pay the catering staff and make a profit, they also have to factor a certain amount of food wastage into the prices.

It wasn't bad value considering the breakfast was thrown in with the ticket price.

I did come prepared this year with over 10 litres of soft drinks and a selection of non-perishable snacks.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 23:48:40 by aurora »