Author Topic: A fursuit panel for beginners and intermediates next year (CFz2014)  (Read 11849 times)

Offline Tenderpaws

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
I will be setting up a fursuit panel for beginners and intermediates next year (CFz2014)

They will both include some history into costuming and how it has progressed including some of my own experiences in costuming over the last 14 years which may give some fresh ideas and inspiration.

Anyone have anything they would like to see/have talked about next year?
Please feel free to leave a message here or email me at tenderpaws@confuzzled.org.uk

PS: Yes, I know it's early but I believe is being prepared!

Tender Paws

Offline Delph

• Events Lead
  • Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
To be honest I'd love to see a panel on current best practice, and also one on the "history of fursuiting"

I know we've got a heavyweight carved foam fursuit head in the loft which we can compare against the lightweight mask heads we use these days, and I'm sure that feet have improved over the years as well.

Offline yagfox

• CFz Crew
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
I can supply "loaner" fursuits for people to try! :)

Go Chicken! :)

Offline Tenderpaws

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
To be honest I'd love to see a panel on current best practice, and also one on the "history of fursuiting"

I know we've got a heavyweight carved foam fursuit head in the loft which we can compare against the lightweight mask heads we use these days, and I'm sure that feet have improved over the years as well.

Delph, This is kind of what I mean, it was just a mention one or two of the best practices (Etiquette) were back when I got into costuming to how things have relaxed a bit over the last 5+ years. Since you mention it, I actually would like to split it off because I have some nice stories to tell about costuming over the years. I would also invite someone in on this.
Yeah, some of the old suits I have worn were true boilers compared to todays fursuits.

Offline Tenderpaws

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
Just to clarify, I would like input regarding the kind of things you think new suiters should hear about so I can build a list and then elaborate on them.

Do's and don'ts ect.

Cleaning

Vision

Heat

repair advice ect.

Tender Paws

Offline Tenderpaws

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
I can supply "loaner" fursuits for people to try! :)

Go Chicken! :)

Thanks Yag, I will bear it in mind!

Offline MattyK

• CFz Crew
  • Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
As an intermediate when it comes to fursuiting (I've been loaned Raith and Shiin's Red Fox "Syler" throughout the 2013 Convention and found it particularly interesting), I'd very much like to dip my head in and hear some stories, I think Gloucester's resident Fursuit Maker, Chocolatekittykat(CKK) might also have some experience to share so I'll ask her in the coming weeks if the Gloucester Furmeets manage to lure her out if you'd like.

Offline Vector

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
Just to clarify, I would like input regarding the kind of things you think new suiters should hear about so I can build a list and then elaborate on them.

Do's and don'ts ect.

Cleaning

Vision

Heat

repair advice ect.

Tender Paws

That kind of topics is good for a fursuit 101 beginner panel but it's not useful for intermediate-advanced performers.

I was thinking about some really advanced panels like we had at EF15 with GoH Croc & Jimmy Chin :

Action not words : Croc told to the attendees how interact/communicate is important in suit and how to use a spotter/helper to his advantage. Fursuiting is not just hugging, waving, posing but it's also interaction with people.

I suit, therefore I am : Croc told us about character creation, consistency. It's the next step after fursuiting and it's all about bringing a character to life, with his own personality and story.

Why mascots matters : Jimmy Chin told us his experience about Critters by the Bay and professional mascotting.

We could also have a workshop with specific topics : writing a fursuit/mascot skit, acting, dancing, using props...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 13:23:02 by Vector »

Offline Tenderpaws

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile

Do's and don'ts ect.

Cleaning

Vision

Heat

repair advice ect.

Tender Paws

That kind of topics is good for a fursuit 101 beginner panel but it's not useful for intermediate-advanced performers.

I was thinking about some really advanced panels like we had at EF15 with GoH Croc & Jimmy Chin :

Action not words : Croc told to the attendees how interact/communicate is important in suit and how to use a spotter/helper to his advantage. Fursuiting is not just hugging, waving, posing but it's also interaction with people.

I suit, therefore I am : Croc told us about character creation, consistency. It's the next step after fursuiting and it's all about bringing a character to life, with his own personality and story.

Why mascots matters : Jimmy Chin told us his experience about Critters by the Bay and professional mascotting.

We could also have a workshop with specific topics : writing a fursuit/mascot skit, acting, dancing, using props...

Absolutely, The intermediate would cover character building and bringing a character to life.
We have a long time till CF2014 and I would like to get the 101 finished first, because I feel that a beginners panel will be the one that needs the most attention. I say this because it has to appeal, and it has to be useful.
Someone who attends the intermediate will have a desire to learn and perform better and will / should already have a good understanding of the basics. I would say (Get the inspiration going) Some people may never take to preforming in suit, just the way I cannot draw art. But new ideas mean you can find a way to be creative, even when you think you're unable.

A lot of my love and inspiration for costuming goes way back to when I was a kid and I would see Disney characters on TV. For a decade or more I wanted to do this as my dream job. So you could say I already had a keen interest in costuming.
I have also been a paid mascot performer.

Perhaps if you would like to talk to me about any ideas for the intermediate fursuit panel, I would greatly appreciate any input.
It would be nice to have a high quality panel to present next year.

Many thanks. Tender Paws.        tenderpaws@confuzzled.org.uk

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
I would say it's important to keep things simple and give the basis for how to do things. People will come up with their own methods or how to perform, hot to move and such with their own suits in time. Just a few basics are a good thing to get started with.
Warning: Do not expose to shiny things.

Offline Tenderpaws

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
I would say it's important to keep things simple and give the basis for how to do things. People will come up with their own methods or how to perform, hot to move and such with their own suits in time. Just a few basics are a good thing to get started with.

That is the plan, but also having a second panel for those who want to know more or gain some ideas ect.

Do you have any ideas or input regarding fursuiting for beginners?

Tender Paws.

Offline Bezel

• CFz Senior Security
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
I would mention here that Anthrocon does have several fursuiting related panels - including:

"Fursuiting in Public"
"Fursuit Care and Maintenance"
"Light Effects and Electronics in Fursuit Construction"
"Fursuit Character Building and Performance"
"Fursuit Meet and Greet"
"Advanced Fursuit and Mascot Performance"

and last year also included "How to be a Demon:Performance for Darker Characters"

Of course, they (currently !) have a larger audience to draw from and not all of these are applicable in the UK - for example, the number of furs either interested in attending or capable of giving a talk specifically on electronics in fursuits would probably be too small to be viable. However, it's always a good thing to try and have a broad spectrum of panels aimed at multiple levels of ability - from those who want a suit but haven't got one, to those just starting to suit, all the way up to highly experienced suiters.

There's always something useful to pass on, even if it's an informal round table session, rather than a formal presentation :)

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
I have a fair few thoughts, will have to have a chat with you more directly at some point before the next con.
Warning: Do not expose to shiny things.

Offline Futureblocker

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
    • Furaffinity
I was wondering if teaching Soon-To-Be Fursuiters would be included?

Attendees can learn how to perform body-language(especially for those with high autism - like me) and learn how to perform with other suiters!
There should be a Event like the Fiasco where Soon-To-Be's will perform in front of an Audiance of Fursuiters and those who do a good performance will get an experiance contract(meaning your ready to wear a fursuit). The Contract is like an Award.

The whole event does not include Soon-To-be's wearing Fursuits whilst being taught and putting a performance in front of the Fursuit crowd(its like watching wrestling, but without the wrestling).

Its like a Fursuiter School, the Speakers could also allow those with contract to wear a fursuit for a few minutes(so that you don't get too hot wearing it).

I'm not a fursuiter, but hope to learn about wearing one. So I'm wondering if something like this could work?

Offline MorbiusMonster

• Omg, I post a lot!
  • Shadowmancer
    • View Profile
Provided it doesn't clash with anything I want to attend, I'd love to go.