Author Topic: Artists Alley  (Read 6487 times)

Offline Shiinsuh

• CFz Senior Security
  • Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
Artists Alley
« on: June 07, 2013, 23:16:19 »
I thought that the Artist Alley was a little out of the way. It took me till the 3rd day of  being in the hotel to actually find it.
Personally I think the artist alley is a social area and should be on a main route where people don't have to make the effort to actually go there to pop in and take a look around or chat. It should be a case of; you're on you're way somewhere but might just pop in to see what's happening and end up getting stuck there for an hour or two because you're too busy talking and making new friends.

It also seemed a bit small too, with only three tables that were full most nights when I popped in.

Next year it would be nice to see it in a larger room with more tables and chairs and maybe near the dealers den or art show. Tho some balance between lots of traffic and some where to get away in a quiet corner to draw needs to be worked out..
Or two artists alleys. A main one and a quiet one somewhere a bit more obscure, but then you have the problem of  peer groups segregating. So that might not be a good idea.
But if the room was big enough to have a quiet corner, that should work too I guess.

Anyways i'm just rambling now. Hope this feedback is useful and that others feel the same

Shiin
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 23:21:13 by Shiinsuh »

Offline JessLyra

• I'm on here as much as I can!
  • The Lady of the South
    • View Profile
    • The Art of JessLyra
Re: Artists Alley
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 09:39:19 »
Can i be honest? Im an artist and I actually had no idea what the artists alley is. I didnt go have a look as i was told that its just where the big name artists sit around and talk. Thats probably not true but i kinda wish i knew more about it.
My FA Gallery :3 Please look here for Commission info

Offline Cosmo

• Dealers' Den Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 09:44:23 »
Artist's alley is just a quiet room that's set aside for artists to go and sit and draw in peace. It's set away from the main event space so that it provides a truly quiet area, rather than having people rushing about, and possibly in and out constantly.

Offline Bezel

• CFz Senior Security
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 10:47:01 »
Can i be honest? Im an artist and I actually had no idea what the artists alley is. I didnt go have a look as i was told that its just where the big name artists sit around and talk. Thats probably not true but i kinda wish i knew more about it.
I popped on on security sweeps now and again and it was a large room with about 12-18 people sitting around a few tables quietly chatting and drawing. Looked quite nice - if only I could draw !  :-[

Offline Rinthedragon

• CFz Crew
  • Cookie Eater
  • *Artist Alley*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 22:27:01 »
I really enjoyed running the Artist Alley, the first day I got a bit worried that noone would go but after 15 minutes I was proven wrong and people stayed there until 2:30!
Even on the last day people were waiting in front of the door way before opening the alley what really brought a smile to my face.

The Artist Alley is open for EVERYONE, there was never a limit to 'big names only'. Heck, if you can't draw stick figures then you are still welcome!

I hope that I may run it again at the next avenue. Having more room would be lovely. (and hotel staff that clean away all the bottles and glass that I put on the counter and empty the trash, derp)

ferret

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 22:44:41 »
I made it to the Artist Alley last year a few times and I can't draw at all :D

Locating a small, new, long-lasting event like this is difficult.  Anyone who went to FC this year should have seen their artist lounge, out next to the main walkways and stairs, in an open area with views to the outside world.  It felt much more like a social space and could not have been better placed, especially compared to last year's FC's artist lounge which was basically the same as CFz's this year.

Hinckley Island was very short of public social spaces that could be taken and used for specific things, and I haven't seen the new venue but I am hoping the artist alley/lounge can have a nicer home there.

Also, Rin is amazing and one of the most welcoming people I have ever met.  It will never be an impersonal big-name clique area as long as she is running it.

Offline Shiinsuh

• CFz Senior Security
  • Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 00:05:21 »
I just went ot the artist alley just to see hi to Rin, I wish I had spent more time there tho, to actually draw.
I think only actually drew one that once while there, and that was on my tablet but on paper, so that sucks DX

Anyways
Rin you was/are awesome :D hope you do the artist alley next year :d

Offline torikabuto

• Cookie Maker
  • what is this earrrth?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 17:29:02 »
^^ it was fun i loved the room once i found it ^^ relaxed quiet and best of all the internet wifi point was in the room ;)  lovely views of the green field and the lake fountain thing. 
wonder where it will be next time ^^
twitter: ronkanoidAD, Facebook: torikabuto pawpad collins

Offline MorbiusMonster

• Omg, I post a lot!
  • Shadowmancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 22:21:52 »
I didn't know what to expect from the Artist's Alley, but it was a great place to go. If I didn't have hot food with me, I'd have stayed longer (didn't want to be inconsiderable by eating whilst people are sketching). If it's in a good place, I'll love it!

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 17:24:06 »
Never made it up there once, I meant to stop by, but never really found the time.
Warning: Do not expose to shiny things.