Author Topic: Are Nerf weapons allowed?  (Read 4077 times)

Offline MorbiusMonster

• Omg, I post a lot!
  • Shadowmancer
    • View Profile
Are Nerf weapons allowed?
« on: March 04, 2014, 20:08:57 »
A friend and I want to use Nerf weapons as part of our space suits as a substitute for ray guns. The unit in question is an Elite Firestrike - a simple air propelled unit which fires only one dart at a time and the barrel carries only one dart.

Are there any restrictions on having them in the convention or what kind of ammo they can use?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 20:31:45 by MorbiusMonster »

SouthPaw

Re: Are Nerf weapons allowed?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 21:06:28 »
This is dealt with in full in the Weapons Guidelines on the website (under Attending -> Code of Conduct -> Weapons Guidelines), but it can be summarised as follows:

You can usually have a NERF (or other brand) foam dart weapon as part of a costume, subject to it being cleared and tagged by ConOps. However, you MUST NOT have it loaded, nor fire it, whilst indoors. Breach of this will result in the clearance being terminated with immediate effect. (With the exception of when you take it to ConOps for checking, as they'll carry out a test firing).

If you've got any further questions, feel free to drop our Head of Security an e-mail.

Offline torikabuto

• Cookie Maker
  • what is this earrrth?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 00:18:03 »
Are modified shaped nerf/clone toys alowed ? And are they ok for use out side the buildings, never know when you need to have a space duel ;)
twitter: ronkanoidAD, Facebook: torikabuto pawpad collins

Offline Dhary Montecore

• Head of Security
  • SuperFuzz!
  • MI:3 - Party on, we got your back!
    • View Profile
    • dhary.de
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:17:25 »
A friend and I want to use Nerf weapons as part of our space suits as a substitute for ray guns. The unit in question is an Elite Firestrike - a simple air propelled unit which fires only one dart at a time and the barrel carries only one dart.

Are there any restrictions on having them in the convention or what kind of ammo they can use?

Since the Firestrike is a NERF weapon like the others it is okay to carry them and the same rules apply, as just explained by SouthPaw. Since I have a few Firestrike myself, I know however that the laser targeting in them can be quite annoying. Therefore I'd kindly ask that you do not shine it at random people you don't know and do NOT use it in stage shows or panels please.

Are modified shaped nerf/clone toys alowed ? And are they ok for use out side the buildings, never know when you need to have a space duel ;)

As a little add on to SouthPaw's explanation: All NERF (or similar) guns have to be registered with ConOps when you arrive in the hotel. They will check for modifications and every and all modified NERF guns can NOT be permitted. For legal reasons this might include paint jobs, IF the paint job makes the weapon too realistic. (Again, I own a few NERF myself and not a single one is in its original state... I know the scene ;))

However: If a weapon only has a new paint job and is not modified else, it will be permitted, as long as it does not look too realistic. Individual decision lies with the Head of Security.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:19:35 by Dhary Montecore »

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 16:53:22 »
I will have my deadly Jolt of doom. Also known as the Little Cricket.
Warning: Do not expose to shiny things.