Author Topic: [2014] Rail Engineering Work and Roadworks  (Read 5542 times)

SouthPaw

[2014] Rail Engineering Work and Roadworks
« on: March 10, 2014, 00:22:12 »
Good morning,

As promised on Twitter earlier (though somewhat later than intended), there now follows details of rail Engineering Work and roadworks planned to take place during the convention weekend.

Each night, from Monday 19th to Friday 23rd May, the 2230 and 2330 Virgin Trains services from London Euston to Wolverhampton will be diverted via Northampton, with extended journey times, and terminate at Birmingham New Street. Also, the 0500 service from Wolverhampton to London Euston will start from Birmingham New Street.

From Saturday 24th to 0700 on Monday 26th May, engineering work will be taking place between Warrington Bank Quay and Preston, and also between Lockerbie and Edinburgh/Glasgow Central.

Buses replace trains between Lockerbie and Edinburgh, and between Carlisle and Glasgow Central.

Virgin Trains services to/from Scotland will be diverted via Manchester Piccadilly.

From 1200 on Saturday, Transpennine Express services will be diverted between Manchester and Preston, not calling at Wigan North Western.

From 13:00 on Saturday 24th to Monday 26th May, engineering work will be taking place between Liverpool South Parkway and Edge Hill.

On Sunday, East Midlands Trains services between Liverpool and Norwich will be diverted, calling at Newton-le-Willows instead of Warrington Central and Widnes.

Also on Sunday, Transpennine Express services to/from Liverpool Lime Street (via Warrington Central) will call additionally at Widnes and start from/terminate at Liverpool South Parkway.

From 10:30 on Saturday, London Midland services from Birmingham New Street to Liverpool Lime Street will only run between Birmingham New Street and Crewe. From 12:30 on Saturday, services from Liverpool Lime Street to Birmingham New Street will only run between Crewe and Birmingham New Street. Rail replacement bus services will operate between Crewe and Liverpool South Parkway, for Merseyrail services to/from Liverpool Lime Street.

From 07:00 on Monday, London Midland services will run between Stafford and Liverpool Lime Street, with buses replacing trains between Birmingham New Street/Wolverhampton and Stafford.

Buses replace Northern Rail services between Liverpool South Parkway and Liverpool Lime Street all day on Sunday. Also, from 21:00 on Sunday, Blackpool North - Liverpool Lime Street services will be replaced by buses between St Helens Central and Liverpool Lime Street, and Manchester Airport - Liverpool Lime Street services will be replaced by buses between Earlestown and Liverpool Lime Street, with some buses running between Manchester Oxford Road and Liverpool Lime Street.

From 12:00 on Saturday, and all day on Sunday, Virgin Trains services will be replaced by buses between Crewe/Runcorn and Liverpool Lime Street.

From 20:00 on Saturday, until 12:00 on Monday, engineering work will be taking place between London Euston and Rugby. Virgin Trains will be operating a reduced service between London Euston and Birmingham New Street/Manchester Piccadilly.

From 23:00 on Saturday, and all day on Sunday, buses replace trains between Sheffield and Doncaster. In addition, Northern Rail services are replaced by buses between Sheffield and Moorthorpe/York.

From 07:00 on Monday, buses replace trains between Birmingham New Street and Wolverhampton/Stafford due to engineering work between Smethwick Rolfe Street and Penkridge.

On East Midlands Trains on Sunday, buses replace trains between Bedford and Kettering, with a reduced service of one train per hour between Kettering and Nottingham and one train per hour between Kettering and Sheffield.

And now to the roads...

On the M5, there is a 50mph speed restriction between Junction 4a (for the M42) and Junction 6 (for Worcester) until 31st July due to narrow lanes.

On the M6, there is a 50mph speed restriction between Junction 5 (for Castle Bromwich) and Junction 6 (for the A38(M) Aston Expressway) until 31st July due to narrow lanes.

On the A45 in Coventry, major roadworks are taking place on Siskin Drive at the Tollbar Island junction until 30th January 2017.

On the M1 in Leicestershire, there are narrow lanes at Junction 19 (Catthorpe Interchange) until 30th November 2017 due to roadworks, with one lane closed on the M6 Northbound.

On the M1, there is a 50mph speed restriction between Junction 28 (for Alfreton) and Junction 31 (for Sheffield) until 30th April 2015 due to narrow lanes.

On the M1 in Northamptonshire, the hard shoulder is closed and there are narrow lanes at Junction 15 (for Northampton) until 30th May.

On the M25, there is a 50mph speed restriction between Junction 23 (South Mimms) and Junction 27 (for the M11) due to ongoing work to install Active Traffic Management systems, until 25th February 2015.

And finally, Transport for London news, as a not insignificant number of attendees will pass through:

On the District Line, there will be no service between Aldgate East and Upminster from Saturday to Monday.

On the Hammersmith and City Line, there will be no service between Moorgate and Barking from Saturday to Monday.

On London Overground, there will be no service between Camden Road and Willesden Junction all weekend; no service between Highbury & Islington and Clapham Junction/Crystal Palace/New Cross and West Croydon on Sunday and Monday; nor between Euston and Watford Junction (until 08:30), then Queen's Park and Watford Junction, nor between Highbury & Islington and Clapham Junction/New Cross/New Cross Gate, nor between Sydenham and West Croydon on Sunday.

On the Jubilee Line, there will be no service between Waterloo and Finchley Road on Sunday until 11:00.

On the Victoria Line, there will be no service between Highbury & Islington and Walthamstow Central on Sunday and Monday.

Hope that helps,

Southie
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 00:24:05 by SouthPaw »

Offline Bezel

• CFz Senior Security
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
Re: [2014] Rail Engineering Work and Roadworks
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 12:09:48 »
Thanks for that somewhat depressingly long list of things wrong with the transport infrastructure  :o

The UK is apparently broken  ???

SouthPaw

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 15:25:34 »
Thanks for that somewhat depressingly long list of things wrong with the transport infrastructure  :o

The UK is apparently broken  ???

And you've only just realised this? ;-) That a day with no roadworks on the M25 made headline news back in the 90s (IIRC) says it all really...

Offline Nightpaws

• CFz Senior Security
  • I'm on here as much as I can!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 07:19:56 »
There should be a challenge to see who encounters the most of these but still gets there on time :P

For me it's the typical issues with Glasgow trains being rubbish but hopefully the planes will be fine :)

Offline Rwylin

• CFz Senior Security
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 07:56:42 »
im just hopeing i dont hit alot of traffic etc on the M5 on the drive up.
A 50 speed limit shouldn't mean i have to leave to much earlier to get there at my planned time.
Mew =^_^=.

SouthPaw

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 15:49:54 »
There should be a challenge to see who encounters the most of these but still gets there on time :P

Anyone coming up from the London area will hit the lot if they take the M25 -> M1 -> M6 route. Think I might end up nipping up the M40, thereby avoiding same.

Offline Riaral

• Cookie Maker
  • Metal guitarist ready to bring forth the awesome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 09:08:25 »
I suck at roads and transportation, I'm traveling up from the south most likely via bus from Bristol or Weston-Super-Mare and I got no idea what roads would be taken on it haha
Let's sing, let's dance, let's have a ball.
Cause tonight we're gonna party like we don't care at all!

Offline Rwylin

• CFz Senior Security
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 09:29:19 »
I suck at roads and transportation, I'm traveling up from the south most likely via bus from Bristol or Weston-Super-Mare and I got no idea what roads would be taken on it haha

is there no-one driving up from that area thats willing to give you a lift? i would offer but my car is full.
Mew =^_^=.

SouthPaw

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 10:50:50 »

That would be the M5 if the coach makes no intermediate stops between Bristol and Birmingham.