Author Topic: What is it with the lack of chairs?  (Read 14304 times)

Offline Cheetah

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
What is it with the lack of chairs?
« on: May 28, 2014, 18:03:19 »
Hi!

You all know, I really love Confuzzled, and I really prefer to give positive feedback than negative. But this time, there was one thing that really ruined the experience for me at more than one occasion. I attended four "main stage" class events: The opening ceremonies, the pawpetshow, the dance contest and the closing ceremonies. And in three of those four events, there were no chairs for the audience, and I ended up sitting on the floor.

Now, you can make all the jokes about me being old and fat, but sitting on a cold concrete floor for an hour or longer is not just uncomfortable, but literally a pain in the ass. And my back. And my legs. I nearly walked out of the dance compo after the third act or so, because I just couldn't find a position that either didn't hurt after a minute, or made my legs go numb. Opening and Closing weren't much better.

Now, I've dealt with a couple of hotels myself, and usually, they'll be happy to set up any seating arrangement for any type of occasion, and they're usually also very quick - and unless you need to rearrange every room 10 times a day, they'll usually not even charge anything extra for it. So I really don't see why there wasn't any proper seating for so many seated events.

Really, guys, the fandom does not exclusively consist of 19 year old twinks practiced in the art of sucking their own ... toes ... and sitting cross-legged for hours :) I'm a 40 year old office nerd, and having a chair makes a big difference for me :)

Offline Rwylin

• CFz Senior Security
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
Re: What is it with the lack of chairs?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 18:32:57 »
The floor in the opening and closing ceremony's were not hard concrete... they were all carpeted as was the floor in the room used for the dance competition.
Mew =^_^=.

Offline yagfox

• CFz Crew
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 18:46:33 »
Did you not do the EF bum hardening program? 3 hour puppet show sat on a hard wooden bench really toughens the buns! :)

Offline Rallicat

• Forum Admins
  • I'm on here as much as I can!
  • Dealers Den Deputy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 18:47:32 »
I think the general idea for the opening and closing ceremonies was to allow a fast 'get in, get out' period at the beginning and end, but we'll certainly take on board the feedback.  We can either consider moving to deploying chairs, or alternatively consider having some of the room open space at the front, and a section of seating at the back.

Thank you for the feedback - I'll bring it to someone's attention and ensure it's taken into consideration (or, as many heads of department will review the feedback over the next few days, they may comment directly).

--
Rallicat
Communications.

Offline Davuu

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
    • Art Site
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 19:10:17 »
 there was some chairs along the back wall for the dance competition that werent full and had a good view of what was going on.  I didnt mind sitting on the floor.

Offline torikabuto

• Cookie Maker
  • what is this earrrth?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 02:55:18 »
This is good feedback don't hold back on things that didn't work well. you can't fix something if no one points it out, no matter how bad or trivial you think the point is. It still needs to be said to be heard.
twitter: ronkanoidAD, Facebook: torikabuto pawpad collins

Offline aurora

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 10:52:26 »
I attended the opening and closing ceremonies in my fursuit, my feet got a little numb from standing in the same spot but otherwise OK.

Maybe you could bring one of those fold-up deck chairs next year and take it with you to the events.

Offline lamar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 16:32:24 »
This is also of note for disabled attendees who walk with a cane and have problems getting back up from the floor. Luckily, I managed to get a chair for myself by asking before the event, but I'm pretty sure no one else got one.

Offline Raven Luni

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 16:43:47 »
I felt really awkward after saying I couldnt help move chairs because of my arthritis - sounds like a classic bad excuse lol  (100% truth though - my knees are wrecked and I refused to go easy on them during the con - totally worth the pain though)
Delusions of grandeur?  I'm better than that!

Offline lamar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 17:14:39 »
I felt really awkward after saying I couldnt help move chairs because of my arthritis - sounds like a classic bad excuse lol  (100% truth though - my knees are wrecked and I refused to go easy on them during the con - totally worth the pain though)

Likewise, I can't really do a lot of moving of tables or chairs. But I did marshal people around to do the moving of chairs a couple of times. (For example the MtG Draft) I do think it's really is okay to ask for volunteers to do things you can't do yourself but you notice need to be done. Altho it got a bit confusing as to if we were or were not allowed to move tables in some rooms.

Offline Cheetah

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2014, 23:19:55 »
Did you not do the EF bum hardening program? 3 hour puppet show sat on a hard wooden bench really toughens the buns! :)

If you'd prefer that, I'll be more than happy to ask security to remove a chair and reserve you a space on the floor at any stage event of your choice at EF :)

Offline Dhary Montecore

• Head of Security
  • SuperFuzz!
  • MI:3 - Party on, we got your back!
    • View Profile
    • dhary.de
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 23:27:13 »

The last time we had that was EF 13 if I remember correctly...

Offline Cheetah

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2014, 23:30:14 »
Maybe you could bring one of those fold-up deck chairs next year and take it with you to the events.

Of course I could. But that would be like, bringing my own table to a restaurant, just in case they don't have any. Are seats really such an unreasonable thing to expect at main stage events in your opinion?

Offline Cheetah

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 23:33:20 »
The floor in the opening and closing ceremony's were not hard concrete... they were all carpeted as was the floor in the room used for the dance competition.

Yeah, I also have carpet on my floor in my flat at home, but I still haven't had that urge to throw out all of my chairs because of that :)

Offline yagfox

• CFz Crew
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 00:09:08 »

The last time we had that was EF 13 if I remember correctly...

And I congratulate you on 6 chair filled years! :) Though by that reckoning Confuzzled should be numbing bums for another 6 years yet! :)