Author Topic: Vegetarian Dining Options  (Read 7523 times)

Offline Noonikinz Moonlight

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
Vegetarian Dining Options
« on: May 18, 2014, 16:56:33 »
Hello CFz staff.

I was doing a last minute look over the dining options for myself and my fiancée (both vegetarian) to decide how much money we should bring along for food and noticed something in the menu we would like clarification on.

Since the number of vegetarian options on the menu is quite limited (as is the norm so don't assume I am grumbling) I noticed something that may make them inadvertently less than listed due to an ingredient listed in one of the dishes that may be being used in other vegetarian dishes.

Dinner Menu
Penne Pasta with spicy tomato sauce and parmesan (v)

Genuine Parmesan cheese can't be made without including Rennet (a complex of enzymes produced in any mammalian stomach, and is often used in the production of cheese) which is an ingredient not compatible with vegetarian eating habits. Would it be possible to find out if the Parmesan they are using at the the hotel is genuine and therefore not suitable as a vegetarian dining option in any meal it is included in or are they using an alternative vegetarian friendly option.

The below link provides more info on the subject should you wish to read further.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/feb/27/no-parmesan-please-we-re-vegetarian

Thanks for all the work on the menu regardless of how this turns out. ;)

Offline Mooie

• [MI:3 #137]
  • CFz Senior Security
  • I'm on here as much as I can!
  • Moo!
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetarian Dining Options
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 22:02:46 »
Quite a number of vegetarians, myself included, choose to eat cheese made with rennet.  I'm aware of the origins etc and it's a concious choice I've made.

But, in this case, I think it'd be possible to ask for the dish without the parmesan, as I'd guess it's added on just before served.

I must say, I'm happy with the menus at the venue. :-)

Offline RizzoRattie

• Venue Manager/Head of Fursuit Relations
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • Rat face!
    • View Profile
    • www.colifox.com
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 06:04:04 »
Thanks for addressing your concerns Noonikinz. I've requested details from the hotel, and will update information to this thread once I have any further information.

Kind Regards,

Rizzo
Forgive me for not jumping for joy, bad back you know ~ Scar; The Lion King

Offline RizzoRattie

• Venue Manager/Head of Fursuit Relations
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • Rat face!
    • View Profile
    • www.colifox.com
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 12:41:08 »
As promised, head chef has responded to confirm that only vegetarian hard cheese will be used throughout the convention, so there should be no concerns.  However, if you are still uncertain, please always feel free to ask your waiter, or alternatively, you can request your food without cheese.

Many thanks,

Rizzo
Forgive me for not jumping for joy, bad back you know ~ Scar; The Lion King

Offline Olivitree

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 16:08:53 »
Thanks very much for making that clear Rizzo, :) very much appreciated,  It can be a bit tricky with cheese for vegetarians in places as there is no legal definition yet so you can't always be sure with out asking!