Author Topic: Nightclub last admittance policy  (Read 17489 times)

Offline Bezel

• CFz Senior Security
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
Re: Nightclub last admittance policy
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 19:54:12 »
I know for fact I asked security on the nightclub door if I could come in with a foil helium balloon tied to my tail and they asked crew in the nightclub (Axle) a totally different question (untethered balloon) As me and Axle spoke about it afterward. Have no idea what that was about. I found security this year to be very over the top with a lot of things especially the admittance and restriction policies. It was intimidating sometimes and maybe they could have worded things better. There is a big difference between. "I'm really sorry, if you leave you cannot go back in as we have an admittance policy, you can see it written here on the door of the nightclub" and "You're not coming back in please step away from the doors"
Foil balloons can be dangerous with the lasers, rubber ones can be dangerous with the parcans. The easiest approach would seem to be "No balloons" - full stop.

Re-admittance is a tricky thing as we can't realistically differentiate between people going back into the club and those going in for the first time, especially as we have multiple different teams of security on the doors during the night (and one fluffy grey wolf can look like another fluffy grey wolf). As this seems to revolve around the "last admittance 15 minutes before the nightclub closes" rule, and since I can't find anyone who knows why this rule exists, hopefully it will be scrapped for next year and this problem won't exist.

As regards the attitude of security, I'd like to apologise on behalf of the team. If you have a problem with any of the team in the future - either with what they say, or how they behave, then I'd urge you to make a note of their name and discuss it with either of the Heads of Security (Dhary or Crimson). We do crew evaluations and any feedback can be discussed with the individual in question.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 20:02:40 by Bezel »

Offline rakhan

• Cookie Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 19:59:10 »
The easiest approach would seem to be "No balloons" - full stop.
As this seems to revolve around the "last admittance 15 minutes before the nightclub closes" rule, and since I can't find anyone who knows why this rule exists
That makes sense over all and if you do ever manage to find out the thought process about the 15 mins I'd be intrigued to know! :)

Offline Pizza

• Cookie Eater
  • Pizza pup! Arf arf!
    • View Profile
    • My FA
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2014, 20:31:17 »
Foil balloons can be dangerous with the lasers, rubber ones can be dangerous with the parcans. The easiest approach would seem to be "No balloons" - full stop.

Re-admittance is a tricky thing as we can't realistically differentiate between people going back into the club and those going in for the first time, especially as we have multiple different teams of security on the doors during the night (and one fluffy grey wolf can look like another fluffy grey wolf). As this seems to revolve around the "last admittance 15 minutes before the nightclub closes" rule, and since I can't find anyone who knows why this rule exists, hopefully it will be scrapped for next year and this problem won't exist.

As regards the attitude of security, I'd like to apologise on behalf of the team. If you have a problem with any of the team in the future - either with what they say, or how they behave, then I'd urge you to make a note of their name and discuss it with either of the Heads of Security (Dhary or Crimson). We do crew evaluations and any feedback can be discussed with the individual in question.

I understand it's hard to take note of who comes in and who goes out of the night club but i'd like to think security can take note of someone in suit wearing a maids outfit, standing next to them in the make shift fursuit lounge for 30 seconds, then trying to get back inside. Pretty notable attire tbh XD And I didn't exactly do a lap of the con space and then try to get back in. In the end I know a lot of suiters got pissed with security being so over the top and started using the side door to go between fursuit lounge and dance which involved stepping over wires and equipment. Securitys general attitude has been brought up several times. Seems they were doing their job correctly but might need a bit of work on the social aspect of things, like I said, working things a little better.

I know I should have taken notes of names and passed them on. But I was in fursuit, it was the last dance, I was having fun with my friends. I didn't exactly have a pen and paper to hand. It wasn't a con ruining moment so I just got a little peeved off then moved on TBH It's worth flagging in my opinion only because i've seen other people noting securitys general attitude.

Offline Dhary Montecore

• Head of Security
  • SuperFuzz!
  • MI:3 - Party on, we got your back!
    • View Profile
    • dhary.de
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2014, 20:32:03 »
I know for fact I asked security on the nightclub door if I could come in with a foil helium balloon tied to my tail and they asked crew in the nightclub (Axle) a totally different question (untethered balloon) As me and Axle spoke about it afterward. Have no idea what that was about. I found security this year to be very over the top with a lot of things especially the admittance and restriction policies. It was intimidating sometimes and maybe they could have worded things better. There is a big difference between. "I'm really sorry, if you leave you cannot go back in as we have an admittance policy, you can see it written here on the door of the nightclub" and "You're not coming back in please step away from the doors"

Hello Pizza,

if what you claim happened, I am sorry for this and I'd like to apologise on behalf of the team member in question. However I have to mention, that your experience stands in strong contrast to all other feedback we had so far. Therefore I'd like to investigate this incident further if you'd be so kind to inform me about names and times. Of course I will also seek clarification with Axle.

If you prefer, you can give me the necessary information in a PM as well of course.

I understand it's hard to take note of who comes in and who goes out of the night club but i'd like to think security can take note of someone in suit wearing a maids outfit, standing next to them in the make shift fursuit lounge for 30 seconds, then trying to get back inside. Pretty notable attire tbh XD And I didn't exactly do a lap of the con space and then try to get back in. In the end I know a lot of suiters got pissed with security being so over the top and started using the side door to go between fursuit lounge and dance which involved stepping over wires and equipment. Securitys general attitude has been brought up several times. Seems they were doing their job correctly but might need a bit of work on the social aspect of things, like I said, working things a little better.

I know I should have taken notes of names and passed them on. But I was in fursuit, it was the last dance, I was having fun with my friends. I didn't exactly have a pen and paper to hand. It wasn't a con ruining moment so I just got a little peeved off then moved on TBH It's worth flagging in my opinion only because i've seen other people noting securitys general attitude.

Again, what you report doesn't match the feedback we got back so far. If there were issues like this, then please name the security operatives in question or at least tell me the names of those other suiters that you mention.

Like this, we got no detail information at all.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 20:40:15 by Dhary Montecore »

Offline Pizza

• Cookie Eater
  • Pizza pup! Arf arf!
    • View Profile
    • My FA
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2014, 21:00:39 »
I've seen people talking about how several members of security showed up to small events like suspected smoking in rooms, also an attendee being threatened to have their camera taken from them for taking photos near the pool without really realising. Like I said I was in fursuit and trying to have fun so didn't run and grab a piece of paper to jot names down. I understand that you can't investigate further without names but like I said, I thought it was worth mentioning that some members of security were lacking in social skills and could have worded things a little better at times is all. Especially with the misunderstanding of the nightclub admittance policy. If it was actually written on some paper on the door it would have been much easier to point it out or read it to a suiter asking why they can't be let back in rather than replying with "we've been told we can't let people in"

I am really thankful for security though, and I know they have a very difficult job at the convention keeping everything running and everyone safe.

Offline Dhary Montecore

• Head of Security
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • dhary.de
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2014, 21:07:23 »
I've seen people talking about how several members of security showed up to small events like suspected smoking in rooms, also an attendee being threatened to have their camera taken from them for taking photos near the pool without really realising. Like I said I was in fursuit and trying to have fun so didn't run and grab a piece of paper to jot names down. I understand that you can't investigate further without names but like I said, I thought it was worth mentioning that some members of security were lacking in social skills and could have worded things a little better at times is all. Especially with the misunderstanding of the nightclub admittance policy. If it was actually written on some paper on the door it would have been much easier to point it out or read it to a suiter asking why they can't be let back in rather than replying with "we've been told we can't let people in"

I am really thankful for security though, and I know they have a very difficult job at the convention keeping everything running and everyone safe.

I will try and address appropriate behaviour among my team more in depth from now on. Thank you for your feedback, we will act accordingly. :)

Offline Kyyanno

• Convention Logistics
  • CFz Staff
  • Omg, I post a lot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 21:19:49 »
Re: the 15 minute rule;

Why do we even have this rule? We've never done it before, so why now? O.o?

Offline Dhary Montecore

• Head of Security
  • SuperFuzz!
    • View Profile
    • dhary.de
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 22:09:26 »
Re: the 15 minute rule;

Why do we even have this rule? We've never done it before, so why now? O.o?

Because the security team has been instructed to do so. This rule will be dropped next year, we can stop ranting about it now. ;)

Offline Mooie

• [MI:3 #137]
  • CFz Senior Security
  • I'm on here as much as I can!
  • Moo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 13:36:57 »
I found security this year to be very over the top with a lot of things especially the admittance and restriction policies. It was intimidating sometimes and maybe they could have worded things better. There is a big difference between. "I'm really sorry, if you leave you cannot go back in as we have an admittance policy, you can see it written here on the door of the nightclub" and "You're not coming back in please step away from the doors"

I was one from the security who was stationed at the last dance, who also found this policy to be a bit odd, but since none of us standing there at the time, didn't get an update on the policy, we felt we had to start enforce it.

If I ever expressed myself in a bad way, like stated, I'm honestly really sorry for this.  I cannot remember saying anything like it, but considering there for a moment ended up being quite a big group of people outside the entrance to the night club, who clearly wasn't happy about the policy, I had to answer a number of them at the same time, which all-in-all made the situation momentarily tense.

As the dance continued, after the set deadline, we got updated to allow people in, which we then did.  We are of course sorry that this have upset previously turned away people, who then saw others entering the night club.  This will, from what I know, not happen again.

Also, the policy stated that no new admittance was to be 15 minutes prior to the end, but with quite a number of people coming and going, it was unfeasible to distinguish between those who've been in before and those who haven't.  Also, who was only out for a cool-down and who was coming back after an hour?  But, as mentioned, this will not happen again.

Once again - if I ever expressed myself in a way which was either intimidating, threatening or in an otherwise not desired way, I deeply apologies for this.  Regardless if I did or not, I will take this feedback to me and further make sure I express myself in a respectful manner.