ConFuzzled Forums > Feedback

Confuzzled 2015 Pros and Cons

<< < (2/3) > >>

James The Dog:

--- Quote from: wyvern_sieyes on May 28, 2015, 01:07:40 ---P.P.S Yes, Elevators are a total bitch. There's a good reason why Anthrocon, in America, is nicknamed "Staircon". Be thankful there was only 5 floors at the Hilton.

--- End quote ---

This years FWA was even worse. Waiting ages for a lift (sometimes around 10 minutes!) and half the time it came it was full and you had to wait again! Would have been bad enough normally, but the amount of people "going up to go down" even though they told us not to slowed things down even more. Compounded by the fact that there were also lifts out of action throughout that con too. And the fact my room was on the 29th floor meant the stairs weren't really an option either.

tryst:

--- Quote from: tinka on May 28, 2015, 20:46:19 ---- Minor annoyance was realizing the ice bath was still available past midnight at the dead dog party. Again I was misinformed that it would not be available for the DDP evening dance so I didn't plan on dancing and suiting that late. Arrangements should be made so that it is available througout the con as it does significanly extend your endurance to fursuit.

Tips for the icebath users: please place the packs neatly sideways in rows next to each other. This way everyone can easily insert new packs and find their frozen packs. Perhaps a photo instruction of this should be placed next to the bath.

--- End quote ---
We had some problems with individuals storing their PCM inserts in the charge cooler. This caused it to ice up as the water inside couldn't move about. Some inserts even became frozen to the pipework! In the end I started pulling the worst offenders' inserts out and dumping them on the side so that the cooler remained usable.

To everyone who uses the fursuit facilities, please, please, please don't monopolize them - they're for everyone.

What else... Ceilson Furblade was an amazing addition this year. Darn thing nearly blew my contact lenses out, but it certainly was refreshing.

Ash Weststar:

--- Quote from: tinka on May 28, 2015, 20:46:19 ---Again I was misinformed that it would not be available for the DDP evening dance so I didn't plan on dancing and suiting that late.
--- End quote ---
I suspect it wasn't intended to be available and was a mistake.

--- Quote from: tinka on May 28, 2015, 20:46:19 ---Arrangements should be made so that it is available througout the con as it does significanly extend your endurance to fursuit.
--- End quote ---
I think DDP is considered 'after' the con. Other than that, I believe the fursuit lounge is closed between 2am to 6am due a number of reasons - I didn't really see that as unreasonable though?

--- Quote from: tryst on May 29, 2015, 00:47:09 ---We had some problems with individuals storing their PCM inserts in the charge cooler. This caused it to ice up as the water inside couldn't move about. Some inserts even became frozen to the pipework! In the end I started pulling the worst offenders' inserts out and dumping them on the side so that the cooler remained usable.
--- End quote ---
I suspect with some signage, that sort of thing can be mitigated.

--- Quote from: Nidonocu on May 28, 2015, 11:50:36 ---It would require some careful security requirements to prevent theft
--- End quote ---
At my work, we just use cages on consoles and other equipment.

Note: this post only represents the opinion and interests of the user behind it, no other associations are involved.

Jencen:

--- Quote from: The Dark Knight on May 28, 2015, 16:48:49 ---
--- Quote from: Nidonocu on May 28, 2015, 11:50:36 ---Thank you kindly for the feedback!

Regarding the gaming events, we'll definitely be reviewing them and seeing what we can do to improve him.

The problem with a games room is that it is super high in resource requirements:

* Setting up two Wii U's took about half an hour and tearing down about 15 minutes. Add more consoles and this would get longer meaning we'd need to basically 'take over' a room because sharing it would be a huge effort every start and stop.
* For all the hours its open, it would need a rotation of at least two members of staff, similar to Ops which has a big team to handle it. Given the cost of the equipment involved, said staff would need to be well trusted.
* It would require some careful security requirements to prevent theft, including maybe a security guard at the door for all opening hours.
* We'd need a TV or compatible projector, screen and a sound system for every console. These are items we have but are in high demand by other events with presentations from laptops.
* Arranging consoles and loaned equipment requires careful planning and the older systems certainly aren't getting any less delicate!
If we were able to solve all these issues then maybe we could bring back the games room! But failing that, let us know specific games you'd like to play and maybe we can add more events next year. :)

--- End quote ---

Not to mention the drain on personal that is required to PAT inspect all consoles/machines that attendees bring it for said games room. It's a legal requirement and it's not something that can be feasibly done "on the fly".
Essentially, as Nido said, we'd need a team of people who are prepared to sit in the games room to monitor it, and the equipment, and perform any PAT inspections required.

TL;DR - If you want a games room we need people to volunteer to run it! ;)

--- End quote ---

<pedant> PAT is not a legal requirement. It is however a requirement of the hotel and the con insurance policies. </pedant>
Point still stands that it is a major timesink to have this done. As at previous years have had to change plugs on numerous items due to poor wiring.
As a PAT tester in a previous life it's 20 items an hour..... IF all those are laid out in a row, plugs out and have a PERFECT condition.

PAT code of practice also lays out that portable "site" equipment. I.E. the sort that I'd classify as gaming room stuff (as it moves around lots) should be visually inspected before each use. Once again, tying up valuable staff.

So yeah. Join up ^_~

Artic Steve:
I used to do PAT Testing in my last two jobs. It is a right pain and I feel for anyone having to do it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version