Author Topic: Venues for ConFuzzled  (Read 11621 times)

Benny Brownpaws

Venues for ConFuzzled
« on: May 20, 2007, 13:54:52 »
It seems I'm the only one to aks questions here so far....heh heh!

Just curious, but in future, when ConFuzzled is done next year, and plans beging for one after that (note - not if - when - I reckon this is gonna go brilliantly), is it gonna be the same venue each time?

SouthPaw

Re: Venues for ConFuzzled
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 16:20:13 »
The short answer is...We don't know. At the moment we're concentrating on getting the 2008 event organised and run, so haven't thought that far ahead yet.

Cheers,

Southie

Offline Wolfie Fox

• Stage Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I can see through time!
    • View Profile
    • OS Labs
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 16:39:06 »
If all goes well then 2009 will be in a bigger venue. That is all I know

Offline enteirah

• Cookie Maker
  • Stubborn Bushytailed Rabbit
    • View Profile
    • Ents or Tails
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 07:56:52 »
That does raise a good point. Given the planning for the 2008 event must have started late 2005/early 2006, will planning for 2009 have to start early in 2008, so before the first one is even out of the way? It would certainly make it tricky deciding on whether to move venue for 2009 before we've even had one at the venue.

Benny Brownpaws

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 13:21:46 »
Cardiff FTW!

Offline Matt the Lion

• Convention Chairman
  • Forum Admins
  • SuperFuzz!
  • King of the Jungle
    • View Profile
    • My Photography (Mostly big cats)
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 13:30:39 »
That does raise a good point. Given the planning for the 2008 event must have started late 2005/early 2006, will planning for 2009 have to start early in 2008, so before the first one is even out of the way? It would certainly make it tricky deciding on whether to move venue for 2009 before we've even had one at the venue.

I am aware that some basic investigation is underway for alternative venues, but at the moment the key focus of the team is getting enough people signed up to run the 2008 event.  I would personally expect decisions regarding an event in 2009 will most likely be made in early 2008.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."

Loupgaros

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 13:43:22 »
As long as I can get to the place, I don't mind. Birmingham I've heard has a good varietty of venues though. If you still wanted it up north.

SouthPaw

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 17:11:40 »
Cardiff FTW!

As fine a city as Cardiff is, it's rather lacking in accessibility. Sure, you've got direct services from London (2 hours), Manchester (3 hours 20 minutes) and Birmingham (2 hours), but that's about it.

In terms of flights, direct flights are limited to a handful of destinations in the UK and Europe.

If I was to hazard a guess, I'd say that ConFuzzled 2009 (assuming there is one) will be in one of three cities: Birmingham, London or Manchester.

Cheers,

Southie

Loupgaros

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 17:13:57 »
So it could easily be at Manchester again? Well, I don't mind either way.. apart from London! Just.. a mild phobia of the place... and its overpriced shops.. and the crowds.....

*cannot resist* Lahn-don! Esseehx! Lahn-don! Essehx!

From... Monkey Dust. I loved those characters....
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 17:17:52 by Loupgaros »

Offline The Dark Knight

• Head Of Convention Operations
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • "MOVE!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 17:19:48 »
So it could easily be at Manchester again? Well, I don't mind either way.. apart from London! Just.. a mild phobia of the place... and its overpriced shops.. and the crowds.....

*cannot resist* Lahn-don! Esseehx! Lahn-don! Essehx!

From... Monkey Dust. I loved those characters....
Madrid! Barcelona!
Madrid! Barcelona!
Madrid! Barcelona!
MADRIIIID! BAARCELOOOONA!

Loupgaros

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 17:25:52 »
*breaks into Barcelona by Freddie Mercury and whatshername* BARCELOOOOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAA! *cough* Ah, the insanity!

I seriously hope its manchester again though. But Birmingham isn't too hard to get to.....

Offline Matt the Lion

• Convention Chairman
  • Forum Admins
  • SuperFuzz!
  • King of the Jungle
    • View Profile
    • My Photography (Mostly big cats)
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 17:28:06 »
My personal thoughts are that somewhere in the midlands is ideal on the basis that it's relatively central and considerably less expensive than almost anywhere in the south of england.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."

SouthPaw

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 23:53:10 »
At the end of the day, all three cities (London, Birmingham and Manchester) are much of a muchness in terms of cost, especially if you're looking to do an all in one convention type deal.

Keeping with Youth Hostels for a moment, there's one opened fairly recently in the heart of the Lee Valley Regional Park. Details can be found HERE.

It only sleeps 114 people, but it's relatively easy to get to (being right next to Cheshunt station, which is convenient for Stansted Airport, and a whole 8 minutes on the train from Tottenham Hale station on the London Underground Victoria Line), and on the other side you've got the 10000 acres of the Lee Valley park, including an Activity centre (which offers Sailing, Canoeing, Climbing, Caving, Camping, Rafting and Dragon Boating, amongst other things) with Broxbourne (home of the Lee Valley Leisure Pool) a short train ride away.

In terms of con space, they've got five meeting rooms. Accommodation is in lodges with 2, 3, 4, 6 and 8 bed rooms.

Not saying that ConFuzzled 2009 is gonna be there, but it's worth a thought for a general "weekend away" type thing. ;)

Cheers,

Southie

Offline Feera Fox

• Omg, I post a lot!
  • unleash your inner being, hear your song
    • View Profile
    • the den of feera fox
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 13:07:09 »
Dear Souls,

Oh Come On, Give The Organisers, A Break Especially After Confuzzled 2008,
They Will Need A Months Break, After All They Will Have Done For The Furs
In The UK And Those Travelers From Afar Afield. They Will Deserve A Nice
Rest. The Effort For Planing For A Con Is Far From Easy. Then They Will
Be Nice And Fresh And Ready To Tackle CF 2009. We Should Be Proud
Of The Organisers Having Got This Far.
* I don't know when i'll be able to go2 CF again debt rears it's ugly head until then hugs and peace to all *
Animals that change reality, are in the dreamtime, of a world forgotten, yet destined to rise again in the
hearts of those who dance in the dreamtime. ye time is coming, it's time to sing

Loupgaros

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 22:04:36 »
It's just a curious question of whether there are plans to go anywhere else. AS any good convention organiser knows, you have to plan ahead, no?