Author Topic: Stupid exams!  (Read 4902 times)

Offline Cursico!

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Stupid exams!
« on: March 19, 2013, 11:49:03 »
Grr >:c Last year I had to miss the last day of the convention because the exam team had to put exams nearly a month after the last lecture, and they refused to move it.

This year... it's at the beginning of the convention which on the face of it doesn't seem so bad... until my early arrival comes into play. So... great... the exams were supposed to match the same day we have the lectures on, and not peek outside of May- and the exam that's the problem now should have been on a Tuesday, all snuggled up a good couple of days from trouble.

In retrospect, I shouldn't have touched early arrival even if the usual system of exam-on-same-day-as-lecture meant that I should have been in the clear.
But still- WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
>-< So now I have to either have wasted £50 in booking an early room... or waste even more money going to Confuzzled on the early day, then getting up really early the next day (5AM early) and chugging down there on a train... just to come back up again.

I'll never know why the examination team doesn't put up a 'template' for the exams, so that maybe a few dates can be moved around before it goes 'solid'. As it is, the exam dates come out and BAM, that's it. Another convention spoiled by the tyranny of examinations.

I've always preferred essays anyway.

Offline SFW

• CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I have a cunning plan.
    • View Profile
    • silverfoxwolf.com
Re: Stupid exams!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 19:03:57 »
Exams though don't last forever and thankfully you won't always have to take them each year.
Warning: Do not expose to shiny things.

Offline Cursico!

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 00:24:13 »
>-< Just one more year left after this... they don't make you do exams for a masters or PhD, do they?

*Grumble, grumble*

Offline Fermi

• Nightclub Deputy
  • CFz Staff
  • Omg, I post a lot!
  • Did someone say furfag~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 08:33:24 »
>-< Just one more year left after this... they don't make you do exams for a masters or PhD, do they?

*Grumble, grumble*
Depends on the masters degree, generally not for a Ph.D.

Offline Matt the Lion

• Convention Chairman
  • Forum Admins
  • SuperFuzz!
  • King of the Jungle
    • View Profile
    • My Photography (Mostly big cats)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 19:31:06 »
Masters by Teaching would have exams, Masters by Research would, so it depends on what kind of course you take.

PhD doesn't have an exam as such, but you will have a Viva Voce (aka Thesis Defence) where you have to defend your research against two experts in the field who will ask you questions about it and make sure that you really know your stuff. My PhD Viva was 14 days after the end of CF2011 though, and I did fine (despite a week of business travel and moving house in that fortnight too). :P
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."

Offline Cursico!

• Cookie Maker
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 00:21:28 »
Well, no pressure, then! >-<