Author Topic: Comedy and comedians  (Read 9036 times)

Loupgaros

Comedy and comedians
« on: May 21, 2007, 11:03:56 »
Another ice-breaker: What sort of comedy?

Comedians: Bill Bailey, Simon Amstell, Stephen Fry, Jonathon Ross, Graham Norton (although he's a bit off now), Justin Lee Collins, Alan Carr, and many others that I cannot think of..... *chuckles*

Comedy: Heh, any funny panel game. Any. I like my stand-up more piltical though so I especially adore HIGNFY. If you know the acronym, you'll know the show. *grin*

Offline The Dark Knight

• Head Of Convention Operations
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • "MOVE!"
    • View Profile
Re: Comedy and comedians
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 11:09:19 »
Comedians: Bill Bailey, Harry Hill, Al Murray. Those are my top stand-ups right now. :)

Comedy: Anything written by/starring Chris Morris, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Edgar Wright, Jessica Hynes, Mark Heap, and Kevin Eldon.
I also love Comedy game shows like QI, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, and HIGNFY. ;)

Loupgaros

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 11:10:36 »
I forgot QI. I love it when Alan Davies states the 'bloody obvious' to get minus points. I reckon he does it deliberately....

Avalanche

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 12:44:11 »
Comedians: Bill Bailey, Harry Hill, Al Murray. Those are my top stand-ups right now. :)
I also love Comedy game shows like QI, Never Mind the Buzzcocks ;)

Oh yes :D

I also love Billy Connolly as well, hes just class. To a lesser extent i also like Robin Williams and Jim Davidson.

Offline Matt the Lion

• Convention Chairman
  • Forum Admins
  • SuperFuzz!
  • King of the Jungle
    • View Profile
    • My Photography (Mostly big cats)
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 13:28:22 »
Comedians;  Jasper Carrott, George Carlin plus others already mentioned...

Comedy shows, I'm a definite fan of QI and HIGNFY.  I also rather like some of the Radio4 comedy stuff like "The 99p Challenge", "I'm sorry, I haven't a clue!" and "Just a minute".
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."

Offline Shep

• Convention Operations/Shepherd at Large
  • Omg, I post a lot!
  • Hello you!
    • View Profile
    • Mein LJ
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 16:18:28 »
As well as the more modern comedians mentioned above, I also like the classics, such as The Goons, Round the Horn, TW3, Tony Hancock, Tommy Cooper, Benny Hill, The Goodies, The Comedians and Monty Python :)

I really cannot stand 'right on' comedians such as Ben Elton; Too political and not funny at all..
Shep Shepherd, the Good Shepherd ^^

Offline Matt the Lion

• Convention Chairman
  • Forum Admins
  • SuperFuzz!
  • King of the Jungle
    • View Profile
    • My Photography (Mostly big cats)
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 16:53:39 »
As well as the more modern comedians mentioned above, I also like the classics, such as The Goons, Round the Horn, TW3, Tony Hancock, Tommy Cooper, Benny Hill, The Goodies, The Comedians and Monty Python :)

How could I forget The Go-on Show and Monty Python!?
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."

Offline Wolfie Fox

• Stage Manager
  • CFz Staff
  • SuperFuzz!
  • I can see through time!
    • View Profile
    • OS Labs
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 21:34:32 »
Monty Python's Flying Circus - A Party Political Broadcast on Behalf of the Liberal Party :D   That one is uber funny ^.^

Loupgaros

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 13:55:20 »
Ben Elton is more annoying than funny but I prefer my comedy as three jokes then the truth. That's why HIGNFY is top of my list.

And I am so glad I am not the sole person who likes Round The Horne. I thought Kenneth Williams was top-notch in that. Navy Lark is briliant too. Leslie Philips as the inane sun-lieutenant is simply comedy gold.

Benny Brownpaws

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 11:31:44 »
Red Dwarf, and associated cast, Have I Got News For You, Never Mind The Buzzcocks and Friday Night Project

Loupgaros

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 21:58:08 »
Bill Bailey, I forgot him. He is mad. But very, very funny.

Offline Shep

• Convention Operations/Shepherd at Large
  • Omg, I post a lot!
  • Hello you!
    • View Profile
    • Mein LJ
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 21:38:53 »
Ben Elton is more annoying than funny but I prefer my comedy as three jokes then the truth. That's why HIGNFY is top of my list.

And I am so glad I am not the sole person who likes Round The Horne. I thought Kenneth Williams was top-notch in that. Navy Lark is briliant too. Leslie Philips as the inane sun-lieutenant is simply comedy gold.

"I'm Julian, and this is my friend Sandy!" :P
Shep Shepherd, the Good Shepherd ^^

Loupgaros

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 23:11:16 »
Fantabulosa! Have you varada'd his dolly old eek! Must rest me lallies!

Offline Blaster2

• I'm on here as much as I can!
  • The 2nd coming....is coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 08:50:11 »
I'm a fan of the alternative comics, Jerry Seinfeld especially. A lot of people don't find him funny, due to his extensively American aimed humour, but his Sitcom has always made me laugh.

Also, I don't like comedians who swear all the time. I don't do it a lot myself, and if I do, it's under my breath. I actually feel physically dirty if I utter an obscenity. Even if it's in a jokey way. I was brought up in an affluent household, with very wealthy parents who were both extremely clean cut. They never swore or cursed, never watched TV shows or films with excessive blue content either. I even got asked by some kids at school "Why don't you swear?" as if it was strange to actually have a clean mouth!!

Yeah, so now you all know, I was a spoilt kid from a rich family living in a top class A band council tax area!

Loupgaros

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 18:18:35 »
I have never ever liked much swearing. But those comedians I avoid are Bernard Manning and That rude one who wears goggles on his head. Chubby Brown.... I hate racist humour since I hate any racist thought, no matter how mild. And to make jokes that are 30 years old... Please! I am not saying that comedy should be sanitised but.... when you still turn out sexist jokes.....